isshinryu5toforever

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright, I live in the east village since I go to NYU. We actually have spring break the 12th-20th this month. I'll be in the city rather than going back to Wisconsin

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I thank you for the invite...this is a tough 3 weeks for me...I am a piper in an Emerald society band and as you can guess this is the "holy month"

I will drop you a line when things let up.

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

wow, I'm sure this is a very interesting month for you.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

Hi everyone. I'm a Roku Kyu (That'd be a green belt in my dojo). I'm from South Jersey, but currently reside in Northern Virginia. My sensei is of the Uezu lineage. As for the opening of wansu.....It starts out in a neutral stance (can't recall the name), with toes pointed forward, feet about shoulder-with apart (maybe a little bit more) And "The Hidden Fist".....The first Geidan Barai does chamber and explodes forth. I've been taught that that is one of (if not, THE) most powerful move(s) in the kata, the opening block.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body".....my Makiwara tells me so.

That's what I have been taught, it's called heiko dachi. You go straight from the shield hands to the hidden fist without separating the two hands. In other versions I have seen a swinging motion done with the fist as you step out into a seiuchin stance.

- Tao Te Ching

We've got Isshinryu here, in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada.

I just started recently, but I'm way ahead of most people. In my short time, I've got a more-developed Seisan Kata than the white belts and yellow belts in my class.

I'm not sure which lineage we follow, but I'll check with my Sensei this Thursday, because I'm curious now.

Lure with bait; Strike with chaos.

~ I: Making of Plans, "Art of War", Sun Tzu.

UPDATE:

I just attended a seminar with Sensei John Divine, Co-Vice President of the O.I.K.K.A. (directly under Master Uezu and one of 2 representitives in the U.S.), the man is brilliant......and fast. We went over some history, bunkai, and "blitz" type sparring maneuvers that'll really batter down your opponent's defenses.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body".....my Makiwara tells me so.

That's awesome. I must say that I am quite out of the loop when it comes to Isshin-Ryu events, like seminars, because I have lived in Wisconsin so long. Nothing ever comes to the midwest. There are a few in Illinois once in a while, but that's not too often, and those are often difficult to get to.

- Tao Te Ching

That's awesome. I must say that I am quite out of the loop when it comes to Isshin-Ryu events, like seminars, because I have lived in Wisconsin so long. Nothing ever comes to the midwest. There are a few in Illinois once in a while, but that's not too often, and those are often difficult to get to.

I you like I could send the list of Advincula sensei seminars for this year. He will be in NJ 2 or 3 times, CT once and I think Brooklyn, not sure. He runs really great seminars, lots of info and you get it from a 1st generation student. If your interested let me know.

Cheers!!

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei