• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshin-Ryu Karate rollcall

isshinryu5toforever

I see everyone else doing it. I'd like to know who on here is in Isshin-Ryu Karate. I see it on several people's profiles, but maybe it would be advantageous for us to get to know eachother a little. I know that my brand of Isshin-Ryu is very different to the people out here on the east coast. The chinese aspects of it are very Chinese. The stances are a little more Okinawan than the deep Japanese stances I've seen, and our techniques are a little more compact. So, where is everyone from? If you know, it would be cool to see which marine your karate goes back to Mitchum, Long, Nagle, or Armstrong. If it goes to Shinsho, Uezu, or Kichiro that would be awesome. And if you feel like putting up your rank that's fine too.

Here is my info,

I am from Wisconsin, my lineage goes back to Long via my master's original instructor, however if I am not mistaken he has trained with Angi Uezu. I am currently in New York City's east village due to attendance of New York University

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Midwest.

My lineage runs from Uezu Angi to Lorrance to me.

Isshinryu is known for its higher stances. It is designed perfectly for the American build.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

From northern New Jersey

My lineage is from Advincula sensei, to my sensei to me.

Hello to all fellow Isshin-Ryu folks!!!! :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

Okinawan karate is known for the highter seiuchin, but in a few schools from the Nagle lineage use muh deeper more Japanese seiuchin

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

We also use a slight;y deeper seiunchin stance..the knees over the toes is how we measure the depth....seiunchin is also used in the opening of wansu kata with the "hidden fist" movement. I know some schools use a naihanchi, sanchin or seisan stance in the opening...anyone else?????

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

ah, the hidden fist. I have seen this openning in the Brooklyn school and I have seen it in Canada. Our openning is a bit different. If anyone has a chance to be in NYC on some weekend just let me know, and we might be able to get together to train a little. It'd be fun to explore the differences a little.

- Tao Te Ching

We have lower legs (viewed from directly in front) vertical from the ankle, upper legs at roughly 45-degree upward slope.

I have had two Isshinryu Sensei, both studied under the same First Generation student of Shimabuku Tatsuo.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

ah, the hidden fist. I have seen this openning in the Brooklyn school and I have seen it in Canada. Our openning is a bit different. If anyone has a chance to be in NYC on some weekend just let me know, and we might be able to get together to train a little. It'd be fun to explore the differences a little.

Hello Isshinryu5toforever, what is your opening to wansu like? I think one of the positive(maybe the only positive) things about the various isshinryu lineages are the different "interperatations" of our kata.

Come to think of it "positive" maybe the wrong word but....who knows!!

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

instead of stepping into seiuchin, we start in a neutral stance basically a heiko dachi. We position the hands the same, but use no chamber for the downblock. It's best if it's demonstrated. I think you can get the jist though. If you're ever going to be in NYC just tell me.

- Tao Te Ching