• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aikido roll

I am studying Uechi-Ryu, but occasionally my instructor will throw in a little aikido. When we go through a technique he always stops short and says we do not know how to fall yet. I have done the front falls and back falls, but I still do not know how to do the roll from a standing position. I can do it from my knees no problem. Does anyone have any advice on how to do the front roll from a standing position?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aikido rolls? What's the difference?

The standing roll should be the same as the kneeling, except from higher up. In my class at least, you just spring forward, tuck your head, get your arms up and roll over your shoulder normally.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

You don't know how to fall Fowards or backwards correctly? How does your sensai deal with liability? Or are still a young belt? Just curious...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

In ukemi, the key is the transition from standing to kneeling. You are ahving a mental block and it is hindering you.

Try this. Go slowly from standing to a squatting position. After doing this several times go slowly and perform the roll. The next is to go fast.

The only other thing you can do is get an ukemi ball.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

We teach students to break fall very early on in the kyu grades.

The reason is because we use foot sweeps and take downs a lot.

No use sparring if you cant learn to fall properly because sooner or later in our dojo someone is going to take you down!!

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

The roll is performed just like the kneeling ukemi.

When doing a roll bend over and get as close to the floor as possible, the first thing that should hit the floor is your supporting arm/hand (as in a kneeling roll). Next you tuck your arm (right arm if your are rolling over right shoulder and vice versa) in under the supporting arm, tilt your head, and roll over the shoulder and back. (again just as in the kneeling roll.)

The trick, especially when you are starting out is to do it slowly and to try to get as close to the floor as possible before your feet lets go of the floor.

I hope it helps

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I have NEVER been able to do ukemi. That and not many instructors really teach it in depth. So... I found a very helpful video on amazon.com called UKEMI: THE ART OF FALLING. It's from an Aikido sensei named Bruce Bookman. I watched the video but have yet to try it's suggestions. However, after watching it, I feel that ukemi will be easier to do. I recommend the video!! It's very clear and basic.

There is the basic one then the advanced one. I got the basic which is really all I need for my style of karate.

Additonal question... does body types and weight play a roll in ukemi?

I don't think a certain body type plays a role, nor do I think body weight does either. I am a big guy and my ukemi is very good. I think you just have to keep working on it until you have it down. At my dojo, the first thing you learn is ukemi and you will not learn any advaced techniques until you have the falls down. I think all dojo's should have ukemi incorparated into their training schedule. It's a good thing to know when your in the air and about to end up on your head! heh heh

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

One bit of advice: Don't be afraid to fall. I've been in my dojo for about 9 months. We've gone over ukemi about...oh, 5 times. I only just got it last week. Fear of falling made me tense up right before I hit the ground. And tuck your chin, or you'll get really really bad kinks in your neck.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Yeah... I busted my shoulder one night doing a forward roll...

Fear of falling is so innate. One of the tricks the video teaches is to have someone hold the knot in your belt as you lean backward over a mat... then just let go and break your fall...

Like I said, anyone want some great tips on ukemi or how to improve your ukemi, check out those videos.