• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sanchin and Naihanchi/Tekki

Beer-monster

Ah, I see. That was more along the lines of what I was thinking.

You certainly are fortunate to train with Sensei Lindsey.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shorin Ryuu, I wasn't saying that your comment had anything to do with Motobu. I was simply stating that others often read of him and that associate the two, fighting and haihanchi.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Forgive me if I misunderstood. But in your post, you quoted me, then the first sentence you wrote was "I believe this is due to the great Choki Motobu supposedly performing this series of kata 500 times a day." I was under the impression that if it wasn't directed towards me, then there was no reason to quote me.

But thanks for clearing that up.

It may not mean anything, but my Isshin-Ryu sensei has always told me that Naihanchi (shorin based)is the mother and sanchin (goju based)is the father of Isshin-Ryu, a blend of Shorin and Goju (among others). This is aparently what the founder Shimabuku Tatsuo said. Naihanchi goes side to side and sanchin goes front to back...together their embusen makes a cross pattern. Naihanchi teaches quick, fluid movements, while sanchin has the dynamic (?) tension...kind of like both ends of the spectrum.

I don't know if this makes anysense...it did when I was told it, but who knows how I just butchered the explanition!!!! :brow:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

Shorin Ryuu, the reason I quoted you is that you made a good point and I just wanted to add my own 2 cents.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Just a couple here and there. My instructor has some tapes of him out of curiosity. But the footage I got was from that "Hohan Soken and Students" video. You may have seen it or been shown it, as you're now as student of Ron Lindsey. I don't recall the names of the other ones exactly, but I think Kusanku Mei was one. There were perhaps 3-4 others...

I think my instructor knows Chuck Chandler's teacher (Takaya Yabiku).

I am not really sure about naihanchi but this much is true. Sancin really isn't a kata that is designed to teach fighting techniques even it can and does its real purpose is iron qigong. It isn't myopic focus it is about aligning stuff so stuff can flow now sensei jules is than man to speak on this more in depth than I but trust me sanchin is to strengthen the body and as with any kata the mind also

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

I know nothing of kata Naihanchi, having never learned it.

Sanchin, however, I have studied since 1980.

Having failed my brown belt test. I was made to practice it by my Sensei, "Until it is PERFECT!".

At first, I hated it, but the more I did it the more I realized its benefits. (I still practice it at least twice a day.)

It not only strengthens the body, focuses the mind on multiple tasks, develops KI, develops the leg muscles for stronger stances translating into more powerful techniques and better balance. If I forgot something, please let me know.

It strengthens mind, body and spirit!

The movements are kept simple for the same reason that zen meditation is simple. There is a lot more going on than what appears on the surface.

If the movements were complex, the kata would lose its purpose.

As I said, I don't know anything about Naihanchi, but sanchin is a different matter.

OSU!

Oops, I forgot to mention that Sanchin also shows how to coordinate breath with the technique, as well as teaching how to extend KI into the strike.

OSU!