• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Those techniques work brilliantly. But you need to be skilled and fast.

I am not talking like you are sitting around waiting for things to happen, I am talking about reacting that way in the heat of a full blown exchange. Thats the hard part and requires skill.

Its get up around sandan technique and something to work on or at least think about

Well, I think assigning a rank to that technique or even just a very broad range (for example, between shodan and yondan) is kind of arbitrary. I don't see the point in that.

Regardless, if you are already in a full-blown exchange, I wouldn't recommend doing a distraction in that manner which leaves you so open. As Sevenstar said, a feint would be far safer and more effective.

sandan was assigned because thats the approximate level one needs to attain before on can effectively apply such things skillfully. This has been proven true

Of course you wouldnt recommend doing something you cant do. If you feel its unsafe for you to do, then dont do it.

That however doesnt mean others dont have the skill to apply it effectively

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not quite the point I was going for, AnonymousOne. I was referring more to the arbitrary nature of the belt ranking, especially in an open forum like this. It's also just because I don't put too much stock into belt rankings in terms of learning more advanced concepts. There's usually some sort of divide, probably between those below brown belt and those brown belt and higher. But even this is a generality that is really kind of irrelevant.

I'm sure I or others could pull it off effectively, despite the fact that it leaves you open. But that isn't even the point. The point is, it isn't efficient.

Just to clarify, I'm still talking about shooting your hand out to side. I'm not knocking the use of distractions or feints or other things. Like I said, his suggested technique just screams of inefficiency. And at a higher level (I'm not going to assign a belt ranking), you have to worry about that. Because like it or not, at some point you'll peak in terms of physical ability. After that, you have to become more efficient or you'll never get better.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Just to clarify, I'm still talking about shooting your hand out to side. I'm not knocking the use of distractions or feints or other things. Like I said, his suggested technique just screams of inefficiency. And at a higher level (I'm not going to assign a belt ranking), you have to worry about that. Because like it or not, at some point you'll peak in terms of physical ability. After that, you have to become more efficient or you'll never get better.

I have to say I disagree I am sorry. It does work...... for me

As regard to your other point. I am 48 yrs old, been training 41 years and probably at the peak of my physical fitness. However, one is always learning and growing.

There is always new areas to improve in and areas where one gets a greater insight into more effective ways to perform something. Thats the exciting thing about karate. Its a life long journey. This is something that is encouraging for the youth.

My teacher is now 66. Hes 9th Dan. He also says the same thing. Hes probably the most skilled karate-ka in our country. I dont know of anyone who even approaches his skill level and he says he also is growing all the time.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Well, since you seem so awfully insistent, I'll give it some more serious thought and experiment with it. If it doesn't work for me (or maybe just not against the people I train with), then I'll let it fall off to the wayside. If it does, then perhaps I'll have another interesting way of applying the concept of distraction. I'm highly skeptical, but we'll see. I'm enough of a critical thinker to earnestly try and prove myself wrong.

Well, since you seem so awfully insistent, I'll give it some more serious thought and experiment with it. If it doesn't work for me (or maybe just not against the people I train with), then I'll let it fall off to the wayside. If it does, then perhaps I'll have another interesting way of applying the concept of distraction. I'm highly skeptical, but we'll see. I'm enough of a critical thinker to earnestly try and prove myself wrong.

Thats the attitude!! Try, experiment, adapt, retain or disguard!!

Bruce would be proud hehe

7th Dan Chidokai

Thats the attitude!! Try, experiment, adapt, retain or disguard!!

Bruce would be proud hehe

Hehe. Given my opinion of Bruce Lee...

I'll still take that as a compliment. :wink:

I do not mean to disappoint you but, nothing new.

I always try looking down with my eyes and slightly raising my leg, sometimes lifting it to knee height and then punching.

It is a good technique, if used well it can be used again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and. :lol: :lol:

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

this can also work on a high skill fighter also just not in the begining. some times a good yell as you shuffle can also make em distract themselves.

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 8 KB.

Has anyone tried the double secret urinating on yourself while simultaniously screaming "IT"S A COOKBOOK"!!!!........has yet to work for me but I keep trying, NEVER QUIT!!!!!!!!

Just kidding folks, Hope I did'nt offend :lol:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

We have a student who used to do that (wave his hand to the side). I sort of 'convinced' him that it wasn't a good idea. Teach by example :brow:

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes