• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that awesome but I used in on Monday and it worked pretty well, when sparring, shoot our an open hand to the side. They will usually get distracted and look at it. During that time of temporary panic and confusion, attack straight in. Try this out and tell me what you think.

Have a nice day :wink:

Those tactics you describe are called fakes. :lol:

• 3 years later...

not really a distraction technique, but when i used to do silat competitions some guys used to STAMP to good effect - they often seemed to recognised when i got into that very focused state. a well placed stamp, and i could feel all the useful tension drain out of me, and become that bit less tuned into the fight and that bit less reactive, if you know what i mean? basically, breaking my concentration i guess....anyone else done that or had it done to them?

Actually a stomp is in one of our sparring combinations. Switch your feet fast, do a quick step in side kick, stomp your foot on the ground, and then hook kick. Thats the combo I believe.

As far as the stick your hand out....I had an instructor who would do that all the time to the kids. He would put his arm out like he was going to do a long range ridge-hand to their head. They see it, block against it....he doesn't hit them...they drop their guard...and he whacks em with it.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• 3 months later...
We call that an open block...both arms go wide open...freaks the other guy out long enough to get inside and do your thing.
true, but this leaves solar plexus and ribs open. most likely not going to work on someone with more than rudimentary fighting experience

There is little honor in going down. There is no honor in going down without a fight. --- Victory dwells in the individual, not the style

Sounds kinda simplistic.. to the point where it might actually work.. :lol: I doubt it'd work more than once though, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work on high belts...

To me...it's just wasted motion that just won't work against a "high belt", trust me, I know. I'll notice it, but, I won't view it as a threat until it becomes one, if at all.

Feinting is an art that must be respected, imho. Study your opponent, study yourself, make a plan, and then carry out the plan. Therefore, if throwing your arm out to the side to distract your opponent is your plan...then go for it. Worse that'll happen is...absolute nothing as your opponent just stares at you and then thinks to him/herself..."What in the world was that?"

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I had a classmate that used a stomp a lot. I just usually ignored it, but it worked for him from time to time.

This reminds me of something. I use to have a classmate when we were both Nidans. During Kumite he'd do the Bruce Lee cat-thingy scream. It wasn't effective and he sounded stupid. Besides, everytime he'd do the Bruce Lee cat-thingy scream, our Dai-Soke would yell at him to "stop doing that...NOW!"

:)

As far as the stick your hand out....I had an instructor who would do that all the time to the kids. He would put his arm out like he was going to do a long range ridge-hand to their head. They see it, block against it....he doesn't hit them...they drop their guard...and he whacks em with it.

I love it. Reassures me that I'm not the only one who enjoys....whacking...I mean...teaching kids!

:lol: :P

Not that awesome but I used in on Monday and it worked pretty well, when sparring, shoot our an open hand to the side. They will usually get distracted and look at it. During that time of temporary panic and confusion, attack straight in. Try this out and tell me what you think.

Have a nice day :wink:

Funny you should mention this...once in a while (can't do it often or they get used to it) I will throw both hands into the air while sparring and KIAI loudly...it really does startle your opponet! Makes for a good opening for a snap kick. Give it a try.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.