• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kempo Speed striking?

Samurai Shotokan

Does any of you guys and gals know the Methods that they use in Kempo for speed strikes because that would help me alot. The only method i am aware of is practise but some speed drills would help alot.

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not quite sure what you mean by "Kempo" speed striking, but what I like to do when working with focus pads is compounding my strikes almost simultaneously. For example, whether it's a jab or back knuckle I'm throwin out there, it is immediately followed by the cross, so it kinda creates a "double tap" if you will of strikes.

You can also work on block/strike drills, whether you block with one arm and strike at the sametime with the other, or you do both with one arm. Lastly, in Kempo, at least what I study, when we strike, we like to follow up with other strikes based on how the body reacts to an initial strike.

So say for example, I punch at the solar plexus, and the reaction is to bend forward, I may have my secondary strike travel up towards the chin using the same hand, or drop an elbow onto the back of the head, or if it bends the person over enough, a rising knee to the face....

I would not be as so bold to say that this is only germaine to Kenpo/Kempo arts, but it is something that is highly emphasized in the art. Hope this helps :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

One of the key things is to work on your breathing. There is a temptation among many martials artists to try and breathe on every strike. This will only slow you down. Work on being able to deliver several strikes per breath. You will also need to hold back on the power on the initial strikes and only kiai on the last strike. I hope this helps.

i just wanted to make my strikes faster and better thats all and i know kempo was about speed strikes(it would help me later with pressure point drills as well) and Sorry if i sounded bold about the Kempo statement

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

Speed comes with practice and correct technique. However, a way to make it seem like you are striking faster is to strike in more efficiant combonations. Flow from one strike into another by knowing how the human body reacts to different strikes. For example, if I land a punch to my attacker's nose (a good strong one) a common reaction is to throw the head back. A "fast" follow up would be a punch to the stomach/solar plexis b/c that area has become exposed. Basically what Pacificshore said. Learn how the human body reacts and act accordingly, this will make your strikes "faster" since the movements will be more efficiant.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Study the physics of athletes in relation to speed.

There are no magic tricks or secret formulas. Speed takes just that, working harder and harder to go faster.

Read James Fixx's book on Athletic Performance, this explains speed development in minute detail

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing