• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many Shotokan kicks are there?

CombatHapkido

Can someone please tell me where this style kick originated? How/why do some styles decide to incorporate some techniques and not others?

When I was in Japan from 82-84 I was told that the son of Gichin Funakoshi, namely Giko, introduced Mawashi Geri to Shotokan.

Giko often travelled back to Okinawa to visit masters when he and his father were living in Tokyo. I dont know if he developed the kick (not likely) or merely introduced it to Shotokan schools. Either way it was his influence that led to the kick being used by Shotokan and it was also his influence that led to lower deeper stances.

Giko had a huge influence on the development of Shotokan as we know it today but rarely gets any credit for it. Thats all goes to his father.

But the word is that Giko was a first rate karate-ka

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
How/why do some styles decide to incorporate some techniques and not others?

In many cases, the techniques incorporated into a style were those that the founder thought were of value because they worked for him/her, based on experience or a belief in the effectiveness of them. It kind of boils down to: What did they think were the threats to be faced and how did they think they could most effectively counter those.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

the main kicks as every one know are front kick ,side kick ,round house and back kicks ,then other variations are used in later years like the spinning back kick .

It takes years to master these kicks to make them work effectively ,maybe twice as long as punches ! In shotokan every thing is based on strong foundations (fundementals) just being supple and able to kick high is not enough ,being able to find and hit a moving target EFFECTIVELY is the goal .

In real combat ,the most effective and least risky is the front kick ,unless you are very confident and competent against your opponent you will find it difficult and risky to employ other kicks like the roundhouse or back kicks .

It is the method that shotokan employs for example in the roundhouse that maybe diferrent to other styles .

never give up !