• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would you stay or go ?

kotegashiNeo

How long would you train in your current style in you never recieved a higher rank than you are now?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How long would you train in your current style in you never recieved a higher rank than you are now?

• Forever rank means little to me
    • 5-10 years
    • 1-5 years
    • no more rank no more trainning at that dojo

I really couldn't say if I would stay or leave. Early in my MA training, I was all for rank. I couldn't wait to get the next belt.

As of now, I have been a red belt forever. I started at this school (after moving to NY). I quit at blue belt. I went to another school and made it to red belt (last May). Then I quit there because I realized that I didn't earn any rank I got there (I passed for barely knowing my stuff). So I came back here knowing I DID earn every rank I got here (I'm kicking myself for leaving in the first place LOL). I had to start back at blue, but made it back to red in three or four months. I've been a red belt ever since.

I am supposed to test for high red in the spring but I don't want to, because I don't know my form and some of the requirements well enough. I rather have the knowledge and know my stuff and pass, than passing for barely knowing anything.

So, my attitude on rank did change. I probably won't get the chance to test again till November (There's a rumor of my instructor adding one test for red and black belts this year, but I probably won't test till Nov). As of now, I'm happy where I'm at. I could care less if I'm a red belt for another year.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dojo, thankfully, focuses on ability to grant belts. My sensei would happily fail a student if he/she didn't prove him/herself worthy of the belt. In his words, "Any Karateka who walks out of my dojo with a rank given by me - will be able to fight like the rank he's been given."

He failed 5 15-16 year old red belts recently, but that was obvious, because their kata was so bad it paled in comparison to an indian kid who was like, 10 years old.

He's also well-known to fail the brown belt senpais repeatedly for not performing up to par. It's really strict, but all I can say is that it's a good thing, because I detest having some kind of false security like a black belt; and then getting beaten to a pulp by street thugs while being unable to defend myself at all.

And, in my own words, I'm there to learn to fight; not to collect belts. =)

Status : Blue Belt in Goju Ryu Karate, member of Spo-chan coaching

What, do you mean to test and not indicate the result?

The indication of archievment is that you have progressed since last time you were 'tested', you dont need to be given a title to indicate a result.

I would still train there, sure, so long as the instructors were letting me actually train and advance on in learning the techniques.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Well, it's going to be 2 more years before I can test for the rank I already have and then 2 more after that to advance but I'm more worried about learning than advancing.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

What kyu or dan are you at, and can you explain why it would take 2 years to test for the rank you already have? It sounds like there is more to it maybe?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I believe in the saying -Rank follows the man(or woman)not the other way around. As long as I am still learning new things, I would never leave, it is in my soul. Keep all the belts, gi's, certificates, etc; I just want to train, for me; Not my parents, wife, sensei, or my sensei's sensei...just for my own health, benefit, and enjoyment :)

Just more of my mindless ramblings...Oops..... gotta go, the Doctor. is bringing me my medicine :P

Have fun everybody!!!

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

• 1 month later...

I came back to the dojo after a leave of absense (academic reasons). I started back up wearing a white obi. After a short time I was given the priviledge of putting my black belt back on. I didn't care if I ever progressed in rank, I just wanted to continue my training.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor