• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would you stay or go ?

kotegashiNeo

How long would you train in your current style in you never recieved a higher rank than you are now?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How long would you train in your current style in you never recieved a higher rank than you are now?

• Forever rank means little to me
    • 5-10 years
    • 1-5 years
    • no more rank no more trainning at that dojo

Just wondering if how many of you would train and for how long if you never recieved a higher rank than you are now. You would still learn all the kata and different bunkai but never again would you recieve a grade higher than the one your are at now. Just wondering how important grading is to people

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... well, if I was still learning everything I would normally and continue improving? Psh.. at that point, I wouldn't mind being an 8th kyu for life.. I wouldn't care - as long as I was still learning and getting better.

A black belt (for example) is not just putting on a belt, it's a level of skill... so what difference does it make if you just take away the belt?

edit: I do not mind belts though, as contradictory as that is. It's nice to have a tangible level to shoot for. i.e.- in golf, it'd be tough to know how good you were if you never kept score.. as I type this, I am almost positive there will be those who disagree with my whole 'its nice to have tangible levels' idea... oh well, that's the way it is... this is just my opinion :)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

the grade i am now was a huge goal for me, it means i am beginning to understand and internalise. if i never grade again, i wouldn't mind. i might not anyway. for me, its more about learning new katas and understanding further.

Maybe Love Was The Thing Holding Me Back From All, Maybe I'm Just The Thing To Break My Own Fall

If I would still learn everything, just without getting a new belt, I'd be happy training for the rest of my life. The belt is only a tangible goal to give people more of a sense of accomplishment (and to let instructors know at quick glance a student's reletive level of knowledge). However, I'd have to agree with Vertigo in that while I wouldn't care if I never advanced in rank again, I still think the rank system is good. I believe it's a good thing to have something tangible to shoot for, just don't get fixated by it.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Testing is just what the word means - to test... If you pass your test, you get a higher grade as your report card. You fail the test, you do not get a higher grade on your report card.

Grades are part of the tradition and part of learning the art. Now having all of the colors of belts, I feel differently about that which are way OVERKILL - but a pass/fail grade is good... One whom would say that testing or getting a higher grade is not important is not one I would ever train with or suggest anyone to train with.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

When i started in karate, i didn't go for belts, once i went i realize that it is a major part of the training...i really dont' care about my belt colour as long as i'm learning and training hard. The only reason i would care about belt level in competitions, which as for the moment i dont' plan on doing. i would want competetors or the same skills.

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"

but a pass/fail grade is good... One whom would say that testing or getting a higher grade is not important is not one I would ever train with or suggest anyone to train with.

Dont you think its possible to still be tested without the need for a increase in rank afterwards?

Rank is important in one aspect.

If you want to someday have your own school, it is important to have rank because as unfortunate as it is, the general public wnat to train with someone with a high rank.

What works works