• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teachings of JKD

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have been invited to try a class of JKD and I am always interested in learning something new. A friend of mine told me that this class is basically teaching kickboxing and BJJ which I already train in so I am not really interested in it.

I want to know from the JKD practitioners out there if kickboxing and BJJ is the focus of their school? :-?

we recently had a thread about this - you can search for it. what you learn depends on who you train with and who they trained with. the original jkd guys and the jun fan guys are more classical, for example. with them, you will learn trapping, various strikes and kicks from various styles, etc.

with the straight blast guys, you learn bjj and thai boxing - the thai boxing is their striking as opposed to wc, thai, savate, etc. and bjj/wrestling is their equivalent of trapping and part of the infighting.

then you have the jkd concepts guys, vunak's guys, etc...

next time you go to class, ask them who they trained under and what all they teach.

The JKD class that I attended is owned by Burton Richardson. It was a very good class but as I said earlier, I was looking for something different from what I had already trained in. I am more interested in the classical stuff like trapping hands.

What works works

muay thai may go against bruce's idea since he felt t'was not as simple, quick and direct. (this is not easy for me to comprehend since i spar in my muay thai class and notice they are very well fighters) and same for bjj. but i can see how they both complient eachother and how they would also might have a certain advantage of those who study JKD and not straight blast gym. (ground work bjj but this is not always the case since jun fan praticioners at least here take up shoot wrestling) you will not learn trapping right away. you might learn a few drills but nothing serious on trapping until you are ready for it. trapping takes alot of time to master. thats a tool the experienced can play around with. i mean just think. you go up against a boxer they are pretty fast. do you think your gonna go up to him and trap him first shot you get???? for this you box him first then when you are close range you then execute a trap IF the opportunity is available.or if your super fast and very sensitive just trap the first strike thrown(good luck), from then on you would throw maybe an eye gouge or tiger paw and finish it with a kick to the groin or knee or instead of a combo you simply lock thier arms and snap .The way a str8 blast gym would have it , you would execute a deadly elbow and then grapple him if they were close range. both are great ways to a fight. but they are both different path's . one thing i am not sure about his how well thai is for preserving centerline . maybe a mt practitioner can get in on this convo.

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 8 KB.

I have learnt two basic trapping moves. And we have done kali stick drills. True it all depends on what the lineage of the instructer is. I deffinately know we include trapping, stick fight, boxing, muay thai, grappling and other ones i do not know a lot though i have only been on the MA scene for 2 months :P.

Oh btw i got my first test at end of this month :D "You're looking good but make sure you are sharp." Thats what my instructer said to me.

My school has both programs . it has jun fan /kali

and muaythai/ jkd grappling . (used to be bjj) but tis now called jkd grappling. as i looked into both the MT curriculum seemed more sportish, but those guys are quite good.

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 8 KB.