• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teachings of JKD

I have been invited to try a class of JKD and I am always interested in learning something new. A friend of mine told me that this class is basically teaching kickboxing and BJJ which I already train in so I am not really interested in it.

I want to know from the JKD practitioners out there if kickboxing and BJJ is the focus of their school? :-?

What works works

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isn't JKD just concepts and philosophy? People talk about it as if it has form...thats not what bruces writings indicate...Wasn't he trying to press the idea that just because kickboxing and Wing Chun were his first focuses that later formed his ultimate way of fighting, doesn't mean it will be yours? Don't you have to find your own way? It seems to me JKD would be better served as a philisophical book than taught in a dojo...Even Bruce Lee quite teaching JKD in the end because people were using it as an ultimate way of fighting, Bruces way! They were'nt finding there own way...I'm confused too? What is it you JKD practitioners do in the dojo to properley carry on Lee's Legacy?

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

im not sure how other people practice or teach JKD but the way i am taught from direct inosanto lineage is not through kick boxing and bjj. although i do take grappling to better round my self. My jkd consisnt of jun fan gung fu which is some wing chun and boxing kick boxing and philipino kali stick and weaponry. kali also has open hand fightingas well and the foot stance is also different from kali. both arts comlpiment eachother just fine. and when learning these arts jkd is then theorized.

JKD is not just original wing chun gun fu and neither is it just concepts to what ever art you pick. it is about what works and having a foundation in an well rounded art with no * and from there do what ever it takes to win effectively . A freind i met in my jkd gym, has been taking jkd there for five years . he tells me he his JKD is muay thai becuase he like the elbows and kicks. thats his JKD. y onthe other hand my JKD is jun fan gf and kali becuase it is a bit more to the point that that of muay thai in MY opinion. but not by very much. plus i feel it might not support my kali as well as jun fan would.

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 8 KB.

Ye Rank i am also taught from a direct Inosanto lineage and the way you are taught is very similar to me.

I could name all the arts that are listed on my club t-shirt but i can't remember. But there is a wide range and you basically choose your style but you are taught them all. Best to have em all in your armoury ey?

That sounds reasonable enough, but I'm sure that is not the way all schools work...But hey, I could always be wrong. Thanks for your responses :D

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

ill read them off my shirt now

jun fan jeet kune do

savate

filipino kali eskrima

wing chun gung fu

muay thai

majapahit martial arts ( i Think this is maphilindo silat )

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 8 KB.

ALSO

if you dont feel your place isnt covering enough then maybe thats because you see a way through .

Ok ill read off my shirt.

Wing Chun (nearly Forgot)

Filipino Martial Arts

Panantukan

Jeet Kune Do

Grappling

Jun Fan Martial Arts

Pananjakman

Kali-Silat

Boxing

Muay Thai.

:D Similar.

yea it doesnt have shoot wrestling on it becuase they had a small problem of what they were gonna teach so they now teach a jkd grappling and not bjj or shooto,