• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dye bleeding onto white gi

AngryMatt

It may seem a little odd, but I have a brand new Century double weave judo gi and already it's stained. Not from blood or from other clothes that weren't colorfast.... it's turned a tint of pink on the back, especially the arms.

Why? Because my sensei has a dark red gi and it bled heavily onto mine. I was doing most of the demonstration work that afternoon and so there was quite a bit of rubbing.

So I know not to bleach it, but regular cold washing in bleach alternative didn't work. Anyway to get rid of all of that unslightly light pink that has tinted the back of my gi?

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness."

-The Book of the Void (A Book of Five Rings)

"Men don't start fights, but they do finish them."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It may seem a little odd, but I have a brand new Century double weave judo gi and already it's stained. Not from blood or from other clothes that weren't colorfast.... it's turned a tint of pink on the back, especially the arms.

Why? Because my sensei has a dark red gi and it bled heavily onto mine. I was doing most of the demonstration work that afternoon and so there was quite a bit of rubbing.

So I know not to bleach it, but regular cold washing in bleach alternative didn't work. Anyway to get rid of all of that unslightly light pink that has tinted the back of my gi?

Use a product called OXYCLEAN. You can get it at the grocery store...that's what everyone at my dojo uses. If you have patience and soak stuff it can get almost anything out...myself I tend to just throw it in with my laundry and it gets most stuff out but some of the sweat stains need to be soaked to get out. My sensei just got back from texas where he was training on red/blue mat's and doing WKF style sparring (with take downs)...he said his brand new KIME gi is now all blue/red heh. So he soaked it with oxyclean and it came out.

Chado

I shall see how this works in the morrow and if it is successful, I owe you your choice of beverage good sir.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness."

'Twas very effective, though it did require a four hour soak. It's bright white now... AND my sensei switched to his black gi so nothing like that happens again. All is well.

Oxyclean, the official sponsor of karate gis everywhere!

LOL! I've heard some bad things about Oxyclean, though; mostly that it doesn't work. I don't know how many people would have the patience to soak their clothes in that for so long!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

I was never a believer in Oxyclean until I took an old Gi that was apparently not as white as it should be and washed it normally with a scoop of oxyclean Walmart knock off in it.

I did not notice at first but my fellow students thought I got a new Gi. I looked at it again and noticed, it was a lot whiter. People have suggested that it will dull colours though, but I don't know if this is true or not. I have only used it on my traditional white gi so far and I don't use it every time.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

What is the active ingredient in Oxyclean? I don't believe that we have same stuff here in Finland, but I might be able to find something that has the same ingredients.

I have a couple of stuck bloodstains to get rid of, as well as some staining in the collar of my old do-gi (which is 8 years old and still looks otherwisely OK - old Shureido really were good do-gi).

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

What is the active ingredient in Oxyclean? I don't believe that we have same stuff here in Finland, but I might be able to find something that has the same ingredients.

I have a couple of stuck stains to get rid of, as well as some staining in the collar of my old do-gi (which is 8 years old and still looks otherwisely OK - old Shureido really were good do-gi).

Google is your friend.