• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Slaughtered By Sensei?

I'm always getting thrown all over the mats by my teacher -- for some reason he just loves to toss me everywhere! While it makes me improve my falling skills, it can be a disconcerting at times. But that's a good thing -- one never knows what life will "throw" at you anyway so I guess always be prepared, right? For this reason, I consider it an honor and a priviledge to be tossed all over the mat by my teacher. I admit it, I love every moment of it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm regularly used as the "demonstration dummy" by my karate Sensei - my Wing Chun Sifu has started demonstrating things on me now, too, so I usually get pretty pummelled almost every day... :P

I've sparred with my Karate Sensei too, but never been seriously injured by him in a sparring match, except for a few bruises and knocks.

However, he once demonstrated a takedown technique on me and ented up chipping the bone in my ankle. It was an accident (these things happen) and Sensei was very apologetic about it - I got a free meal out of him afterwards for it! :lol: Almost makes up for the pain...

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I recently called my Sensei evil....yeah, lets just say he didn't deny my statement (although I didn't get a chipped bone!)

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

I have done some "light" saprring with my sensei, and he has never injured me(yet!!) He does let me know with a little "snap" where I should be covering and stuff....but knock on wood, no damage as of yet. :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

He he. Well, if there's any at all (knock on wood again), let us know! :P

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

i've been abnged upa bit too. Once had the wind knocked out of me, with an uppercut to the stomach, while I was exhaling but it wasn't life threatening. the worst came when i wastesting for my brown belt, i tried to slip an oncoming attack witha side step, ridgehand. he blocked with his elbow, and i smashed my thumb on his elbow and broke it. it wasn't intentional though. i actually thought it was badly jammed, but didnt realize it was broken until the next day

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

the old masters used to say it is a great honor to be chosen have the sensei put his hands on you.

at least thats what our sensei would tell me after using me as a throwing tool.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

It's interesting to see the number of 'demonstration dummies' that are consistantly used by their Trainer (Sensei, Shihan, Sempai, Sifu - pick an appropriate titile). It's actually a compliment to you that your trainer chooses to use you for demonstration purposes.

Consider that it takes TWO to make a demonstration of a 1:1 technique. If your 'dummy' isn't able to stay in control - they could well find themselves 'running on to a fist' that really wasn't headed in their direction.

In other words: "Good trainers don't pick out the same guy regularly to 'beat up on him', it is often because they know he can take the appropriate actions as a 'receiver' of the technique."

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

Well, I've never sparred the head instructor, but when I was six, we all got turns with the assistant instructor. Me, being the bright six year old that I was, decided to catch him off-guard by running at him with a flying side-kick. Well, the guy was almost 7 feet tall and I was like 3 feet tall, so he just caught me in mid-air and held me upside down by my legs for a few minutes! :lol: :D

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'