• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Slaughtered By Sensei?

LOL!!! Awww. I can just picture that. It looks cute in my head. :P

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've never sparred the head instructor, but when I was six, we all got turns with the assistant instructor. Me, being the bright six year old that I was, decided to catch him off-guard by running at him with a flying side-kick. Well, the guy was almost 7 feet tall and I was like 3 feet tall, so he just caught me in mid-air and held me upside down by my legs for a few minutes! :lol: :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: nice..

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I've never sparred my master, but I've been the victim of many harsh joint-locks and throws :P

Many many LEO's come into my school and are curious what kinds of techniques they can use. They usually come at night, when the dojo is quiet and I'm one of the few training. So, my teacher will use me to demonstrate on. He'll employ a bunch of painful restraint techniques, and he does them pretty hard. My wrists or arms are always sore after, but I enjoy, for the fact that it lets me know the effectiveness of some of the stuff we're taught.

I remember one time we were doing throws when someone punched us...one of the students was complaining that he couldn't throw properly because his partner wasn't really punching, so he had nothing to work with. My master tried to explain to him that you didn't even need the punch, you could just walk over to the guy standing and still execute the throw. But that wasn't enough...he had to show it. So I was standing there, unsuspecting, when he turned and grabed my hip and arm, and tossed me over his back. It was pretty awesome haha, I wasn't prepared and went flying, and landed hard. Again, it showed the effectiveness though, he could have easily knocked me out, and I didn't even see the throw coming.

Thats enough of my rambling...good day :P

Like a midget at a urinal, I'm always on my toes

It's interesting to see the number of 'demonstration dummies' that are consistantly used by their Trainer (Sensei, Shihan, Sempai, Sifu - pick an appropriate titile). It's actually a compliment to you that your trainer chooses to use you for demonstration purposes.

Consider that it takes TWO to make a demonstration of a 1:1 technique. If your 'dummy' isn't able to stay in control - they could well find themselves 'running on to a fist' that really wasn't headed in their direction.

In other words: "Good trainers don't pick out the same guy regularly to 'beat up on him', it is often because they know he can take the appropriate actions as a 'receiver' of the technique."

-V-

Excellent post Venrix! :up:

I'll remember what a compliment it is to me the next time I can't move my arms after a demonstration on me... :P :lol:

Seriously, though, you make a good point. I teach the beginners/lower grades at my dojo and I tend to use the same couple of students to demonstrate on. I do try and demonstrate on each student at some pont, as it's good to be used for a demo once in a while. However, I tend to stick with the same few people for more difficult demo's as I know that they will be able to "take it" and will respond appropriately.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

The Grandmaster has used me several time to demonstrate self defense applications found in the Yang Tai Chi Chuan form. I have been "hurt" (meaning the techniqe he did on me, even though it was light, still caused enough discomfort for me to appreciate what an all out strike felt like) by the Grandmaster, but never anything even remotely serious (I was fine by the end of the evening). Since that first encounter of being a "training dummy" I now jump at the chance because now that I understand what the technique does, it gives me a clearer understanding of how to execute it and how it does feel when used on someone. I enjoy it. The Granmaster would NEVER hurt a student, but he does let you know how a technique feels.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

I like to get thrashed by Professor Halsey. I actually hit him on a few occasions, but mostly, he just beats the crap out of me.

Can I say crap on this site?

Oh, well.

He has enough control to not injure me, though. He did give me a bloody nose, but I'm sure I deserved it.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

It seems if you were sparring with the sensei it would be okay for him to inflict some pain, but not to serious injury. If your in martial arts you should be able to take some pain if you want to be able to protect yourself in a real situation.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

listen, ive only read two pages of the forum (its so damn long) but here is what i have to say.

-You guys obviosly dont have a good student to sensei relationship. no one should be getting back at any one. if you ask me, it is an honor to be demonstrated on by your sensei, and if you work hard, and are good at the art, the more he shall demonstrate with you. I find this the most rewarding thing of the martial arts. And rember to respect your sensei, for if he is good, he deserves it a lot more than you guys seem to show! (and no, im not a sensei)

*do not strive to aquire what you want, but strive to want what you have already aquired*

*DO not strive to win, but strive to improve*

Now hold up just a second, Mr. martialman101.

I'll agree that some of these people sound like their teacher likes to take advantage of his skill, but I would say a blanket statement like that is far overstepping your line.

As for me and my instructor, I'm his third longest training student. I'm the second best fighter in the school. If he did anything short of really give it to me, I wouldn't learn. The fact that he and I can go full bore means that we have a good enough relationship to do so, and the control to give it everything without injuring one another.

So before we go making statements like that again, let's either read the whole thread, or at least make a few respectful edits, okay?

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker