• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Red and White Belt

isshinryuwarrior

In Isshin-Ryu you get a red and white belt at 6th dan and then a solid red belt at 9th dan. Those are the general guidelines.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think all of us in Isshin-Ryu have seen a few too many red and white "candycane" belts in our day!!! LOL :D

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

• 3 weeks later...

I believe part of your question was why is it higher than black. I have no way off of the top of my head to confirm the traditional reason, which may have something to do with colored sashes or belts being used for military ranking in Okinawa or Japan before the creation of the belt system for any of the martial arts. The explanation I have heard and always liked, was that the white in higher belts represents a return to the "clean slate" of being a white belt and the understanding that despite ones level of proficiency there is always more to learn, and the red represents the martial artist "bleeding" for the art, or the giving of themself for the progress of their art.

Honestly, depending on your art, style, and organization there may be many different "black belts" to represent various titles or certifications held by the wearer and the same belt my mean different things from one art, organization, or style to the next.

In my Shotokan style, affiliated with the ISKF, there is no red belt (other than the designation in kumite/kata competitions). Just black from shodan up.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

My organization wears these as well. The lowest ranked person that I know of who wears a red and white striped belt is a 6th dan. The only time I have ever seen anybody wear these belts is at tournaments and ceremonies. During workouts and seminars and any other time where the person would be working out, they've always been wearing their regular black belts.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

• 1 month later...