• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Power of a punch, kick in MA ...

A friend of mine told me yesterday...

Why learn to use your whole body to punch or kick? In sparring your purpose is not to KO someone, and in a real streetfight you should just run away.

So what do you guys think of this statement?

I believe you do need to learn, cause it's a part a the art. When you execute a form it need to be with the right speed and power otherwise your form is sloppy. It isn't perfect. And I believe if you study an art you want to perform it as good as you are able.

:: Bless me father, for I have just killed quite a few men ::

https://www.tricking.be

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't see it the way your friend does... everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but that being said, here's mine:

Sometimes running is not the best option in a streetfight. What if someone was threatening or attacking you or a member of your family? Will you sit and watch a friend or loved one get beaten up? I'd rather not. And I definitely don't want to punch/kick someone weakly, have it bounce off, and antagonize them more. If I'm going to attack someone, I want to do it with full force, meaning getting my whole body behind my technique.

Regarding the sparring aspect? Hmm.. that's fair, the goal is not to KO someone. However, that being said (as when we work on kumite, we usually go no contact), using my whole body in techniques seems to get punches/kicks in quicker than if I had just thrown my arm or leg out. So even then, I'd rather use my whole body.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

What happens if you can't run in a street fight...what happens if you don't want to run in a street fight?

In such cases, I'm pretty sure you'd want powerful punches as opposed to light tapping sparring strikes.

Like a midget at a urinal, I'm always on my toes

sometimes running isn't an option. Wouldn't your friend like to be able to neutralize a threat while fighting? Or perhaps he would like his attackers to laugh at him while he punches them.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

I agree with vertigo...power and speed come with using the whole body, not just your arms or legs.

We train in self defence so why would we run away? I will avoid a fight if possible but I'll be darned if my stubborn pride is going to let me run away.

Running or getting away is first priority, but if we were able to run away from every fight, we wouldn't need the martial arts now would we? I believe everyone's said it here, if you think you would ever need to punch someone to defend yourself or someone else, better to learn how to so you can be your best. And as I like to say (which is my only excuse for carrying a large knife everywhere I go) better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.