• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Terminology: How do YOU say "face black belts" in

For two years, I had to listen to the highest ranking color belts exclaim "Face U Dun Jees!" at the beginning and end of every class. I've always known it to be "U Dan Ja". We have some of the best Instructors running the school. But Korean terminology is sorely lacking and rarely used. My first school 18 years ago, we stressed korean commands. It's part of the tradition and discipline to me.

Let me know what y'all say if you go through the ceremony of bowing to the black belts in your school. Try to spell as phonetically as possible. I can't hear you through the screen. :roll:

"One who controls himself is stronger than one who controls others."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We bow to the different ranks only in the advanced classes. Otherwise, we only bow to the one leading the class.

Our command is pretty simple. It's the rank we plan to bow to, followed by "ge".

Facing the school Master: Kwahg Jahng Nim ge

Bow: kyung neh

But it's said all togeather, with a slight pause:

Kwahg Jahng Nim ge, kyung neh

4th: Sa Bum Nim ge

3rd: Pu Sa Bum Nim ge

2nd: Kyo Sa Nim ge

1st: Jo Kyo Nim ge

However, when we face the flags (U.S. first then KSW), they are objects not people, and are followed by "de".

Facing the National flag (and bowing): Kuk Ki de, kyung neh

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Alas, at my current school, the master instructor (who is Chinese) is so intent on being "american" that hardly any Korean is used in class :( . I'm not complaining about his patriotism but I do miss the language. I do occasionally bark out something in Korean while I'm teaching so I use it as a lesson in history. I'm all for tradition and "old skool" !

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Actually, ninjanurse, much of the terms in Tae Kwon Do were originally Chinese influenced.

Old skool. Funny. That's what my KJN calls me.

Alas, at my current school, the master instructor (who is Chinese) is so intent on being "american" that hardly any Korean is used in class :( . I'm not complaining about his patriotism but I do miss the language. I do occasionally bark out something in Korean while I'm teaching so I use it as a lesson in history. I'm all for tradition and "old skool" !

8)

We have the same instructor, and I agree :( In my TSD dojang, we used Korean for almost everything. I still have a habbit of saying stuff in Korean when I coach a class. I throw people off alot LOL. Like ninjanurse said, we don't say anything in Korean except for bowing, ect. So when I say the name of a kick in Korean, people say "huh?" :o :lol:

Laurie F

We have the same instructor, and I agree :( In my TSD dojang, we used Korean for almost everything.

O.k., but you haven't told us HOW you said "Faceing the Black Belts."

If you want to branch this topic off into techniques, we say ALL our kicks and hand strikes in both Korean and English(reps are counted in Korean), Grappling set in Korean but the number in English, Hyungs are said in Korean...etc

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

:lol: You don't even wanna KNOW how my old instructor says that...I'll admit I said it too because I didn't know anything else, but now that I've seen what it's supposed to be...but then what do you expect when it's being super-americanized by people living in a pretty redneck area (myself included)

every time we had to bow:

"Cheerio Chung-Jee!!"

I tried to emulate the guy that got his blackbelt in Korea, who said

"Chur-yuk, Kyung-nyet" or something like that.

Sorry if I'm confusing commands...that's basically what we said for everything.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Certain victory? Why would you say Pil seung to a black belt? That's one I've never heard of before.

We use that one at the end of class. Join hands and, Hana! Tul! Set! Pil seung!