• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 1 1/2 hours is ideal.

This gives about 20-30 minutes of warmup and stretching time before the workout, 50-60 minutes of warmup time, and time at the end of class to wrap up, review, and ask questions.

"On Ko Chi Shin"

Beginner (2-3 days a week):

Child - 30 to 45 minutes max.

Adult - 1 hour

Intermediate up through Brown belt (3 to 4 days a week):

Child - 45 - 60 minutes.

Adult - 1 to 1 1/2 hours

Advanced - 1st kyu and above (4 to 5 days a week max (4 preferred)):

Child - will not apply at this level.

Adult - 2 to 3 1/2 hours.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Beginning class - 1 Hour

Advanced Class - 1 to 1.5 hours.

By running the beginning class immediately before the Advanced, the advanced students can also come to the beginning class to work on the basics, also being good role models, then stay for the advanced class immediately following. It gives just enough to the beginners that they do not get burned out before they build up good endurance, and the advanced students can (as we all can) benefit from regular refreshers on the kihon and early kata.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

We have classes that last from, for example, 12:45 to 1:30. When you get to the higher belts like brown and black, it increases to an hour. I wish my classes were a bit longer.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

90 minute classes in my dojo. But, in answer to your question, some Wise Man would probably say, "a lifetime." :karate:

;)

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

yeah, ours go for about an hour and a half, which is pretty perfect, because you can either go home, or do another class after. but the little begginner kids classes (peewee's) go for about an hour, otherwise they tend to get bored.

Maybe Love Was The Thing Holding Me Back From All, Maybe I'm Just The Thing To Break My Own Fall

• 2 months later...

Karategirl06, I hereby pronounce you the Dark Mistress of Thread Necromancy..

90 minutes here, but we often end up running a few minutes over. It's just not enough. My instructor's classes were two and a half hours long, and he was always running short on time.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

There is no one right answer.

With children, it's not that easy to keep their attention for a full hour, so 45 minute classes may very well be better for them, especially if this such a class is tailored for the beginner children. So far, I can't argue with the results in our dojo, especially having taught at another dojo, where we frequently ran into the problems of many children's attention spans simply not being long enough to handle a full hour.

As they grow in age and experience, then they'll generally gravitate to the classes designed for both adults and children, which for beginner, intermediate, or advanced levels, are one hour long in our dojo.

Classes that consist of primarily yudansha, or those who are close to being ready for their yudansha exams, are supposed to be an hour, but since everyone can handle it, it's not unusual to extend this to 75 minutes. Everyone who has reached this level of proficiency also has a decent level of conditioning and discipline, so I see nothing wrong with Hanshi's methods of pushing them that extra bit.

Now, there are many here who say that one hour is way too short. I won't argue with their claims, since there are many folks who could certainly benefit from the extra training. Still, though, any of the students are free to attend any of the other classes designed for ranks that they have already surpassed, if they want the extra workout / training. This also helps prepare some of them for becoming assistants, or even instructors, in the future.

Furthermore, those who have previous experience in other styles, and show a remarkable level of talent, good conditioning, good technique, and a good attitude, are sometimes allowed to train in the classes that are for levels beyond their current one.