• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long should a lesson be?

Chirath

How long should a lesson be. For it to be succesful. I am thinking of moving to a traditional Wado Ryu school as the point sparring is beggining to get on my nerves. Yet the lesson I have is currently 1 and 1/2 hours. The traditional class costs more and is only 45 min. Now I thought 1 hour was too short. But after seeing an intense boxing class. I realised this was more than enough time. However I seriously doubt the traditional school is so much more intense, that only 45 min is needed. Anyone care to tell me how long their lessons are? And if 45 minutes is enough for a lesson?

Thanks In Advance,

Budding Karateka :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on what is done within that time period. I know that I have taught lessons in 45 minutes before, but I also know that we usually go for an hour and a half. It is really up to what the instructor expects you to learn. With an hour and a half you can stretch in class and warm up, with 45 minutes I would expect the students to take care of that before the class began. This way, the full 45 minutes would be used for training, and not for stretching and warming up.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

imo, its way too short. Even if simply because it doesnt train you stamina and endurance enough. I believe its also not enough time for kata, kihon, and kumite either. Personally i like 1 1/2 as a minimum, the more the better.

My classes are two hours long, twice/week. My instructor was teaching 3 hour classes for a while, 3 times/week.

Ahhhhhh...those were the good old days! :karate:

Personally, anything under an hour and a half isn't enough. I've seen many posters on this forum say that their classes are an hour long. I'm barely getting started teaching a class after that amount of time.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

My classes are an hour long... I'd like to see them a little longer.. but that's the way it goes. When I can get back to club regularly, I can train for 2 hours a day, 3 days a week. Right now, I am forced (due to schedule) to take one hour classes, twice a week

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

we go for about an hour in our open classes, but the advanced classes run an hour and a half to two hours due to the fact that they deal with theory and application a bit more.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Our youth beginner classes run 45 minutes, advanced youth an hour or more.

Adult beginners go on for an hour and the intermediate and advanced go for an hour and a half with extra training after for those who can stay.

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....