• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what other style to complement TKD?

Hello

I was wondering what other martial art anyone would reccomend along with TKD if i get taken down... I have wrestled in highschool if it helps any...

Hapkido, judo, or jjsu? I dont want to do brazilian jjsu, i prefer the japanese style...

I was leaning more towards judo, i'd like to learn some joint locks, grappling, and some throws, pressure points would be nice too :)

thx!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hapkido uses alot of moves with joint locking, grappling and pressure points. I have the impression that Wing Chun also has that. Or Aikido maybe.

does hapkido have any kicks/punches? if so how much?

like I said, i really dont want to confuse myself with TKD kicks, and hapkido kicks

how does the ranking/belt system work?

Hapkido is also a Korean Art, so it should be very similar to TKD. I've never studied Hapkido, but from what i've seen, a lot of the kicks and punches are similar - not as many high kicks as TKD.

The biggest difference is that Hapkido uses more throws and take downs where as TKD usually does not.

i think Hapkido could compliment TKD very well.

does hapkido have any kicks/punches? if so how much?
Of cause :) I tried it one time ones, But that was a long time ago. I think it looked a little like classik kung fu. Mostly hands, but they are definatly not lagging any kicks(okay maybe lagging the acrobatic kicks).
like I said, i really dont want to confuse myself with TKD kicks, and hapkido kicks?
A kick is a kick. I doubt you will learn alot of new kicks, but with TKD you will have to learn another style that arent focusing on kicking to be really effective. After trying Hapkido, I was amazed of how many pressure points there are in the human arm! :D
how does the ranking/belt system work?

I have no idea mate, sorry.

Hapkido kicks are very similar to Tae Kwon Do Kicks. They're pretty much the same, except that tae kwon do kicks tend to snap a little more, where as HKD kicks are more from the hip. But it's not a big difference, and if you've taken TKD, you'd be able to kick well in HKD.

HKD deals alot with throws, joint locks, grappling, and groundwork too. At the lower levels, it's split 50/50 between strikes and the throws/joint locks/grappling etc...but as you get higher, it tends to concentrate less on strikes and more on the other aspects.

Its a great well-rounded art, and would compliment tkd well.

However, if you're not so concerned with strikes, JJ and Judo would both work great. I'd personally recommend JJ, but that may be because I have Hapkido backround, so I'm familiar with alot of JJ techniques.

Like a midget at a urinal, I'm always on my toes

I did Judo for a while. They hardly kick, except front kick and side kick. So this would not confuse you at all. Lots of breakfalls and throws, though.

gunna be checking out aikido tommorow, and judo on thursday

only bad thing my car broke down today (its had a messed up motor for a while, so it gave up today) and hopefully i can drop the car off at the place whos gunna put my new motor in monday, and have my car back by end of the week :)

My vote is for traditional jujitsu. No muss, no fuss...gets straight to the point! A good compliment to anyones self-defense repitoire.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/