• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wing Chun and Wing Tsun differences.

Simplified? Hell no

I only know Wing Tsun.. I "think" it is more aggresive than WC. Grandmaster Leung Ting perfectionised the style.

If you follow Wing Tsun, you kow for certain you aren't dealing with some mc-dojo... while everyone can say "Hi, there I am a WIng chun Sifu, you can't do that with Wing Tsun... For your technieker grades all Europeans have to go to Germany for their gradings.

A lot of special police units have adopted Wing Tsun( SEK in Germany...). It is a realistic combat system.. I am also a police officer, (no special unit) and I believe WIng Tsun made my work safer.

Not to start a debate/fight within the same style but WT is not "More AGgresive" than WC--they are both very aggressive if taught correctly. But, having typed all of that, I think either Emin Boztepe or Master Leung Ting himself actually sought to officially change the name because they wanted to distinguish the Yip (IP) man lineage from other lineages. Don't quote me on this because I might be mistaken but, I am 98% sure. There is a lineage that is also spelled Ving Tsun but from what I have seen it is not the same as the style taught by those who learned it from the late great Yip (IP) Man

One who excels as a warrior does not appear formidable; One who excels at fighting is never aroused in anger; One who excels in defeating his enemy, does not join issues; One who excels in the employing of others humbles himself before them. This is the virtue of non-contention which matches the sublimity of heaven.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not all WC comes from Yip man, some learned from lueng bik, some learned from chan wah shun, some learned from others, and not all WC styles or even forms are similar, for example the style by randy williams, a pretty well known WC guy in Chicago and who is a very good instructor looks totally different than the WC as taught by william chueng or emin boztepe--which by the way are not the best of friends even though they both were taught WC under yip man, william chueng directly and emin via lueng ting's student

One who excels as a warrior does not appear formidable; One who excels at fighting is never aroused in anger; One who excels in defeating his enemy, does not join issues; One who excels in the employing of others humbles himself before them. This is the virtue of non-contention which matches the sublimity of heaven.

true Lueng ting did come from yip (Ip) man and he is the one who made the big deal about the spelling initially (WC vs. Vsing Tsun).

I guess my only contention with your statement was that they are not all the same and in fact can be very different. I cannot say anything about those other styles effectiveness in real life situations though having never studied a system outside of the Yip(IP) man lineage but, from what I can tell even though the other systems may have different ways of expressing WC, they keep the same theories.

Probably, they are just as effective.

In the final analysis, the different systems are essentially many roads to the same location.

daedelus4 I see you study White crane style.Some people say WCK came from White crane.What similarities do you see with both systems?Do you think they are very similar or very different?

The only real similarity that I noticed would be be in a comparison with huen sao in WC. I only studied White crane for a short time but liked it very much. I thought it important to add a style to my repetoire that had more circular movements to balnce the linear strikes of WC. My intro doesnt state so but I have also studied shotokan, taiji and Judo (not to black belk rank) but far enough to get the basic principles. I must admit that like Jeet Kune Do and Straight blast gym's "aliveness" principle about technique, I have a habit of stealing the best of the forms that I see for the purpose of expressing myself in a fight. I have heard it said that not practice, but perfect practice makes perfect.

• 2 months later...

I am not sure as to the specifics of these two styles.

The essence of most Martial Art systems is the same, and that is to learn the techniques and principles in which to deliver yourself from those adverse situations you find yourself in.

Good luck in your search!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 4 weeks later...
I wonder what the differences are between WC and WT? And why do WT have a bad reputation?

I know this is a ridiculous question but, is WC better than WT?

They are the same. Trace the lineage back 3 or 4 generations and you'll most likely see they derived from Yip Man. It is said somewhere around 90% of all Wing Chun practised today came from the Yip Man line. WC and WT, or VT is different because the sifus have a different style of teaching. All of them use Wing Chun principles, theories, and concepts. But the way they teach or the way they express the art is their style. The differnece is the sifus and the spelling. It's basically the same art.

In Hong Kong (when it was a British colony), using the initials WC on a public sign meant public Wash Closet (bathroom). So, to keep the general public from mistaking a Wing Chun school from a public bathroom, a number of Wing Chun sifus started spelling it Ving Tsun (VT)or Wing Tsun (WT), so that the initials were no longer WC to be mistaken for a bathroom. And also to be different. That's all it is.

System - the martial art that you study and

practice

Style - the way you execute the system

Wing Chun - hit hard, hit fast, hit first!