• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different worlds, different styles?

Beer-monster

I can grasp the changes quite eaily, anyone who ever tries a different style quickly notcies what is different. Putting aside training methodology which is more to do with the individual that the martial art. One such differenec is in Shokukai we did age uke at a angle where as in Wado and Shotoi we do it parallel. I've heard reasons from both sides to justify there way and I personally don't see age uke as a block anyway, however in the end it just seemed a rather superficial change.

In Wado both arms go forwards on a oi tsuki, in shokukai we bring the shoulder round to extend the punch and in Shoto the shoulder is square. Again I've heard explanations to support all sides, but this any many of the other changes all seem skin deep.

Most of the changes are small and can be adapted to however, I believe that it is the principles and soul of the art that makes the style not the technique. It is hard to describe but the inate quality which makes karate karate, what it is, the principles behgind the movements and the strategy of the art is the same.

A leapord can have different pattern of spots but in the end its the same animal. Its just my opinion but I think too many people get rapped up in this way is the Shotokan way, this the Kyokushinkai way, this is our way do it that way, and don't look deeper to see than in the end there is Karate, just seen with different eyes.

Of course saying that doesn't get me any higher up the grade :( , so I'll just do what they say :karate:

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sometimes differences can be hard to adapt. Mainly is the tiny details. In my my first style Shokukai we use Shiko dachi alot more, then when I started shotokan it was all kiba dachi.

I saw the difference, my brain could adapt to the change, my body was a different matter since it acts on muscle memory. I could tell my toes to point forwards but then sometimes if I was focussing more on the punch, they would slip to a slight angle.

Again though, this seemed like a rather small and, except where gradings are concerned, insignificant change. But hey maybe thats just me ^_^

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

Hi guys. Just wondering what every ones opinion of the different styles is as due to various circumstances and geographical changes I have had to change karate style twice (shokukai to wado to shoto), so I've been thinking of this a lot.

So what's your take on the style gap. Do you see Karate as essential the same martial art and that the only differences are superficial or more a matter of how you train rather than what you train.

:karate:

My take on this has always been that the basic concept, the goal, intent and to some degree methodology is the same. The punch is, after all, an attempt to deliver directed force into a selected target through the rapid application of the knuckles. How it getst there can differ, but the end result is basically the same.

I think the variations come more out of unique qualitites of specific humans, than they might out of environment or geography. It seems that certain individuals have, throughout history, excelled at personal combat. As a result, others wanted to emulate them, sought training from them and learned to fight in the same manner, and with the same doctrinal and tactical philosophy (Ah-ha! A Style is born!). The variations begin to appear when the soon-to-be founder of a style discovers that his personal, physical unique qualitites lend themselves to a specific method of performing a technique, above and beyond other possible methods.

In essence, if a local icon can execute a punch with full rotation of the fist better than with a vertical position at impact, others will want to do it the same way. Most will never question why this works, as they have seen their Sensei be very successful at using this. The end result might be similar to the punch used in another style, but they are practicing what worked best for their teacher.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

If someone with say, a green belt joined you dojo, would he have to start from the beginning again or keep his grade and be given a chance to adjust. :karate:

IN our school it is mandatory for a student from another school to start right back from the beginning namely white belt. This includes dan grades from other schools.

However they "may" be allowed to sit certain grades earlier, depending on their ability.

Our school has very high standards and is quite picky over the performance of technique and a student must do it exactly right to pass grades, this does annoy some students from other schools who wish to join.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

There's a saying that goes something along the lines of "There are many paths up the wooded mountain but we all see the same moon at the top."

Likewise, there are many styles of martial arts with varying ways of getting up to proficiency. However, all styles are not equal. Some paths never lead up the mountain and go in circles instead.

Many styles share common principles with variations on techniques. There are also maybe a principle or two or three that a style has that another hasn't. In Okinawan karate, at least, the very notion of a "style" is less than a hundred years old, anyway. "Style" very much referred to personal ways of doing things, and teachers would often customize training to the individual, as mass-produced karate is another relatively new phenomenon.

Bottom line: Styles are different. Some are equally valid but different ways of doing things. Others are simply less complete, comprehensive or efficient than others.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I Have 2 Sensei's. I Have 1 Sensei On Tuesday And 1 Sensei On Wednesday And Thursday And They Both Teach Differently And When They Both Teach On Gradings It Can Be Pretty Confusing Due To They Both Teach in A Different Way And I'm Not Sure In Gradings Because If I Do The Wrong One I May Fail As Where I Am Right Now (Yellow) My Sensei's Are Getting VERY Strict. I Usually Do The Prefernce Of Whichever One Is Holding The Clipboard But It's Still Fun And A Good Way To Loose Wiegt At Karate, It's My Sorta Home Away From Home. - Luke Evans, Plymouth , Devon, England

:karate:

Dear God,

Please Have Mercy On My Apponents

Because I Wont.