• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the most telling piece from the original post:

I took Tae Kwon Do when I was 10 and afraid that I had very much unlearned most of it.

If the BJJ guy is an active practitioner, I think you'd be making a big mistake by sparring him. Hopefully he has excellent control.

As others have said, its all in the setup and execution. All things being equal, I'd bet on the BJJ guy over a TKD only guy, but things are never all equal, and it appears that in this case, the TKD guy is already at big disadvantage in that he is not currently studying.

If the BJJ guy has any experience sparring against TKD, or if you are rusty, I think he's only going to walk away thinking he was right about TKD. (unless you just have a big physical or natural skill advantage)

Here's the most telling piece from the original post:

I took Tae Kwon Do when I was 10 and afraid that I had very much unlearned most of it.

If the BJJ guy is an active practitioner, I think you'd be making a big mistake by sparring him. Hopefully he has excellent control.

As others have said, its all in the setup and execution. All things being equal, I'd bet on the BJJ guy over a TKD only guy, but things are never all equal, and it appears that in this case, the TKD guy is already at big disadvantage in that he is not currently studying.

If the BJJ guy has any experience sparring against TKD, or if you are rusty, I think he's only going to walk away thinking he was right about TKD. (unless you just have a big physical or natural skill advantage)

I fought him once and it end up in a draw but then I was using Baji Quan. I don't plan to defeat him with TKD all I plan to do is to show him that TKD is also effective and he should not walk around dissing TKD.

If you miss, chamber and rekick. Roundhouse to the head bring it back as a hook kick to the head. If you are fast and accurate, he is not going to get inside your kicks. If he is a typical grappler, he is going to rush in and try to shoot, a defensive side kick will give him a healthy respect for your feet.

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.

u should use low high front kick tornado kick and spining wheel kick

...yes...

seriously: turning/roundhouse kicks to anywhere up to solar plexus, front snap kick to stomach etc.

What's the most effective high kick in Tae Kwon Do? I took Tae Kwon Do when I was 10 and afraid that I had very much unlearned most of it. I grew tired of hearing my BJJ friends calling TKD weak and wish to show they some effective kicks so that they can stop dissing TKD. I agreed that I'll spar with them next sat using only TKD can anyone help me refresh me memories a little, thanks.

and yea, as someone said: only using tkd doesnt mean only kicks, i only use about 40-50% kicks in itf...

From my expericence with the higher belts in my club, a good combination is jab, cross, front leg side kick and spin back side kick both to the solar plexus.

I agree though, that if one is rusty, one places oneself at a disadvantage.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

Thanks guys for your advices, I know I am already pretty rusty in TKD, if I am going to be in a real tight spot and just switch to Baji Quan do my usuals. Actually I never intend to defeat him in TKD but just prove it's effectiveness in front of him win or lose doesn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...

OK...we need an update. How did the match turn out?

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes