• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Effective TKD Kicks

What's the most effective high kick in Tae Kwon Do? I took Tae Kwon Do when I was 10 and afraid that I had very much unlearned most of it. I grew tired of hearing my BJJ friends calling TKD weak and wish to show they some effective kicks so that they can stop dissing TKD. I agreed that I'll spar with them next sat using only TKD can anyone help me refresh me memories a little, thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a real fight high kicks are almost never effective.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I agree. We might kick high in my dojang, but if you look at our one step sparring, our self defense, ect we use mid to low kicks. One of my self defense tatic for red belt is even kicking to the knee. So I would choose some basic kicks like front push kick, lead leg side kick, ect.

Laurie F

I'll tell you exactly what is going to happen Saturday when you do a high TKD kick on a BJJ guy. He's going to duck under the kick and tackle your base leg and take you down to the ground and have you (assuming he's any good of course) wrapped up and tapping out within seconds.

Any bets? :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

that said, there have been plenty of KO's in the UFC by high kicks against accomplished grapplers. it's all in the set up, really.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

I'll tell you exactly what is going to happen Saturday when you do a high TKD kick on a BJJ guy. He's going to duck under the kick and tackle your base leg and take you down to the ground and have you (assuming he's any good of course) wrapped up and tapping out within seconds.

Any bets? :D

I agree, that's why I gave up TKD the first place but I still believe I can take in down with one really effective will place high kick at the right moment.

I agree, that's why I gave up TKD the first place but I still believe I can take in down with one really effective will place high kick at the right moment.

I'm not saying that a well placed head kick isn't going to work IF it connects, but a BJJ guy with any sense, especially knowing full well the TKD guy wants to kick him in the head, is going to go under it and take that base leg right out from under him and have him wrapped up like a Christmas present in no time at all. :brow: From what I've seen of BJJ, or JJ in general, they start out in a similar stance to a wrestler..low, weight forward and ready to dive at your legs. The absolute worst thing IMHO, is to raise your leg and try to kick them.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Does a Thai Clinch with repeated knees to the head count as a high kick? :)

All strikers need to connect, and all grapplers need to close the distance.

I would say your fastest, and strongest kick is going to be YOUR most effective. Although, something like a wheel kick might just work too.

Doesn't Geoff Thompson tell a story about round kicking a thug in the eye or something?

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

You could be the hardest striker in the world, but if that strike doesn't connect and he gets inside of your mobile kicking range, you are in trouble. TKD has hand techniques too right? Don't forget those, because once he gets inside the effective range of your kicks, you better pray that your hands can bail you out. And of course, attempt to stay off the ground.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

dont use any high kicks. u want to take the other guy out as soon as possible so when they come at u, use a back-kick to the stomach(ull have to be fast to do this). this is better cause someones stomach is a bigger target than someones head.