• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How important is the historical lineage of the art that you participate in to you as the practitioner, and do you think it matters?

Without long practice one cannot suddenly understand Tai Chi : - Tai Chi Classics

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me as the 'practitioner', I enjoy researching my lineage. However, it is not a vital thing for me.

The lineage is not what is important to me - whether or not the art works is what matters to me. If through researching the lineage I find out that the predecessors were skilled fighters, all the better.

However, your predecessors and their skills do not make you a good martial artist, it is you that has that responsibility.

Important to me. Something to inspire, inform and guide my training. Lineage is the credentials of my teacher laid out for me to examine. You won't find me training in a franchise or hybrid-style dojo if there's something with pedigree round the next corner.

Rgds,

David

** Censor-O-Meter: 9 **

Good point.

Then again I'd say that a lot of the lineages out there are bogus. They make up a fancy lineage as sales propaganda. Sad thing is, a lot of people fall for it because they do not know any better.

but then you're talking about false lineages.

he was talking about simple lineages that can easily be proven (as most real lineages are).

in his case, his sifu is a student (or student of a student) of ip gee keung who is the son of the late ip shui, the recognised 'keeper' of the style.

it's nice and simple and clear.

to prove it, you just ask the people involved.

it also means that it is actually very hard to fake.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

I understand your point.

Being new to this forum I do not know anyone here, therefore I am not familiar with their lineages as you seem to be.

My point simply is that lineage is only important if you see it as being relevant to the effectiveness of the martial art in question.

I don't realy pay much attention to it, but I think it's good to know if people should ask about your sifu. Especially if the one that asks is also practising the same MA / style.

:: Bless me father, for I have just killed quite a few men ::

https://www.tricking.be