• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

!i!i!i!i!iHELP! BO STAFF!i!i!i!i!i!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

....Why would you spin a bo staff in the first place? I can't see a practical use for it, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

....Why would you spin a bo staff in the first place? I can't see a practical use for it, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There are a few spinning movements with the bo, but not with the fingers like a baton. Both hands are spaced at 1/3 the length from the ends, and the hands barely leave the bo (only one at a time) for a fraction of a second.

This twirling with fingers, or figure 8's with the hands close together is BAD, sloppy technique.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

What ever happened to traditional bo kata????? No "twrilling bo of death" or other side show theatrics, just clean, powerful, techniques done with complete command and control over the weapon????? No silver and neon blue gi's and 1 hand handstands....no triple backwards, upsidedown, 5.4 degree somersault with strobe lights attached to your ankles and sparklers hanging off your back!!!

Sorry to sound crappy, but I guess I like the simple things in life. :dodgy:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

Do you know where I could find a solid, traditional (korean?) kata? I know the first place to look is my teacher, but this class doesn't do kata til later, and then we have to build our own. I would like to learn one or two basic kata, to help develop technique. I found that learning kata helped me in open-hand, and feel it would help with the bo too.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

Do you know where I could find a solid, traditional (korean?) kata? I know the first place to look is my teacher, but this class doesn't do kata til later, and then we have to build our own. I would like to learn one or two basic kata, to help develop technique. I found that learning kata helped me in open-hand, and feel it would help with the bo too.

Just to make sure I got this right, and I know we're wandering off the topic here...but you don't learn kata "until later"...how much later? How long have you been in TKD? And you have to make up your own, and the instructor isn't teaching any that he/she knows???? If this is correct, I would say something is VERY wrong in your dojo/dojang.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

the way i've always been taught to spin a staff involves both hands firmly on the mid of the staff, hands at shoulders width apart.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

the way i've always been taught to spin a staff involves both hands firmly on the mid of the staff, hands at shoulders width apart.

Basically, that's the same with us. We don't call it shoulder width apart, but rather hold the bo so that 1/3 of it is outside of either hand, and 1/3 is between the hands...roughly. I don't go around checking with a tape measure. :P

Just to make sure I got this right, and I know we're wandering off the topic here...but you don't learn kata "until later"...how much later? How long have you been in TKD? And you have to make up your own, and the instructor isn't teaching any that he/she knows???? If this is correct, I would say something is VERY wrong in your dojo/dojang.

Uuummmmm,

id say if your doing kata, and not Hyungs, then somthing is wrong with your TKD.

Interesting perspectives on staff twirling though.

I was always taught to spin the staff minimally, and even then only as a transition to a different position, and never more than 360' at a time.

Also, for some methods, one hand leaves the bo for a minute second when changing grips,

Ie) from 'shotgun' to 'golfclub'

hehehe.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."