• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

!i!i!i!i!iHELP! BO STAFF!i!i!i!i!i!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know what you're really expecting as an answer. It's like asking how do you get to Rockafellar Center? practice, practice, practice. When learning how to spin, and by this I am assuming you mean figure 8, you begin slowly, and as you gain experience speed it up. This works the same as anything else. You can walk before you can crawl, you can't do things with speed and power before you can do them with proper form and technique no matter how slow.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

In posts you've made in other parts of this forum, it appears you are new to the martial arts Lisa? If so, what the heck are you doing learning the bo, when you said earlier that you don't know your basic kicks and punches?

*shaking my head here*

Lisa, almost every question you've asked on this forum, including this one, can be answered best by your sensei much more effectively than we can. We can't see what you'd doing wrong with your "spinning the bo", but your sensei can. The same goes for your kicks and punches on another thread. I'd suggest starting with him/her.

We, on this forum, would be glad to help you, but some things are best left to your sensei and his/her teachings. You appear to me to be in a hurry to learn as fast as possible, which is a good thing...but some things in the martial arts take time and patience. Maybe you're not ready for the bo yet...maybe you are. Personally, I don't teach the bo to a student until they are into their brown belts...about 2.5 - 3 years of training. They need to be able to use their karate effectively and understand the physics and mechanics behind it before they start weapons.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Yes, shorten it by about 2 1/2 feet. This will make it a lot easier to avoid hitting your face or your knees. It still might go flying or rebound at you if you hit your target though so it is probably best that you make the bo out of plastic. This way there will be less weight and more speed as well. Also for spinning you will find you get a lot more centrifugal force and speed if you place rubber nobs at the ends for balance. You can buy bo's that come already made like this. They are called baton's and you can buy them at juggling stores and sports stores that sell cheerleader paraphernalia. :roll: :P

Seriously though, practice will allow you to control a spin in most performance situations. But it is because of the tendency for the bo to go out of control especially when it hits it's target that traditional bo artists do not work spins in combat.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I also agree with what Shorinryu Sensei has to say in regards to going to your sensie. It might be better to ask him these things first then discuss his answers or what he taught in class on the forum. That way you can gain a little perspective while still getting your answers from one source. In our school we start people on the bo right away, but under very close supervision. When you are starting it is very important that you have someone showing you step by step how to properly do this. Otherwise you may learn bad habits that will take you years to get rid of and/or could get you hurt.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I also agree with what Shorinryu Sensei has to say in regards to going to your sensie. It might be better to ask him these things first then discuss his answers or what he taught in class on the forum. That way you can gain a little perspective while still getting your answers from one source. In our school we start people on the bo right away, but under very close supervision. When you are starting it is very important that you have someone showing you step by step how to properly do this. Otherwise you may learn bad habits that will take you years to get rid of and/or could get you hurt.
there is actually 2 people using this on my user name... my little sister too, shes just starting out, im already into my 3rd year, doing shotokan, she likes to ask alot of questions, from now on, ill specify whos asking from now on, haha this is me now. and i asked about the bo staff, they teach you alot of hits and blocks and things, but they never teach you to spin it, and when i try, i whack myself in the face with it. haha i was just wondering if anyone had any tips, on, not, whacking yourself in the face lol... i play the drums so i can spin it around my fingers really fast, but with the longer bo staff, i just end up hitting myself.

"you wouldnt care what people thought of you, if you knew how seldom they really did."

.......they teach you alot of hits and blocks and things, but they never teach you to spin it, and when i try, i whack myself in the face with it. haha i was just wondering if anyone had any tips, on, not, whacking yourself in the face lol... i play the drums so i can spin it around my fingers really fast, but with the longer bo staff, i just end up hitting myself.

Well for one thing, twirling the bo in your fingers like a baton is NOT a legitimate bo technique. That's a good place to start from I'd say...quit doing that.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Re-read the last sentence of my first post.