• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's your class structure?

Of recent I have been going over the structure or breakdown of my classes. This got me to thinking of what other instructors have as their class breakdown. By this I mean how long do you spend on each section of your style: Warm-up, basics, kata, self-defense, sparring, etc.

Please feel free to expand on each area I named or even throw in some that I may have missed. I am hoping to get some ideas so I can re-write my class outline.

Thank you ahead of time.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My classes are only an hour, here's how the time is usually split:

10 Minute warm-up

10 Minute Basics

40 Minutes of whatever the instructor thinks of (partner work, sparring, kata, ect.), usually broken down in to sections

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Our classes are 45 minutes for youth and an hour for adults

We have a monthly theme as a spring board, this month was Kata.

5- 10 min. Warm ups

10- 15 min. Kata ladder With helpers taking off kids who need extra help

10- 15 min. Disquised Kihon

10 min. Drills

5 min. game or fun activity.... life skill related.

If you notice that is more activities than time....

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....

We have classes that are and hour and a half long. The first 10 minutes are devoted to warm-up. Next is 10-20 minutes of kihon followed by an hour of what the sensei wishes to cover for the rest of the class. This can be kata, kumite, more kihon or mixtures of the three.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Our classes are scheduled to be 1 hour, but usually end up going over 10 to 20 minutes depending on how much we spar.

10 Min - Stretching/Warm-up

10 Min - Floor Drills

15 Min - Focus Target/Bag Drills

10 - 20 Min Forms training (Kata)

10 - 20 Min Sparring

Thursdays -

5 Min Warm-up

55+ Min Sparring

2nd Degree Black ITA Tae Kwon Do

Our classes are 50 minutes long. We are suposed to warm up before class mainly (by ourselves on the side). But there is a quick 5 to 10 minute warm-up in the beginning of class. Then we do basics for about 10 minutes, then whatever is on the schedule that night (my instructor has a schedule for what will be taught in class each night). Last night we did forms and one-step sparring.

Laurie F

Juniors - 1 hr

Teens - 1 hr 15 min

Adults - 1 hr 30 min

Open sessions - 2 hrs

The warm up lasts between 15 and 20 minutes and the lessons vary depending what is on that week's lesson plan.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

My classes are two hours long, twice/week.

Times aren't set in stone, but this is close:

20 minutes: stretching/warmups/basics. We run through them pretty fast.

1 hour: Self-defense techniques/Sparring. Generally we'll do a theme for the day. Defense against grabs, kicks, weapons, punches.

30 minutes: kata

10 minutes: stretching

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Our classes are an hour long. We spend 15 to 20 minutes warming up and stretching. The cirriculum for the class is usually defined by what is going on with the students in that class. Once our warm up is finished, we split the class up. We usually have between 3 and 5 blackbelts teaching, including the head instructor so we will each take a group of students and work on what they need either to test, to clean up or to learn.

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.

Everyone sounds like they have similar structures to their classes. I am in the same boat as some of your instructors. I have been using the same structure for some time and I have been thinking it is time for a change.

My class structure is currently:

10 min warm-up

15 min basics

15 min self-defense/Yakusoku Kumite

15 min kata

5 min stretching

Some nights I will set the classes for a longer duration, but all of the students are in the same class.

On a side note do any of you stretch at the beginning of class as opposed to the end of class.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."