• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kiai's in competition

The last tournament I competed in was an all-styles one, so quite a few different dojos had competitors signed up. One of the things that became evident during the various kata competitions was that a lot of senseis teach their students that a proper kiai consists of screaming at the top of their lungs for at least a five-count every single time. This is not the way the students in the dojo I go to are taught. We have been taught to make our kiais powerful, but not to go on and on and on. More like a short(er), sharp yell. What is the standard in your dojos? And do judges really care how long the kiais last when performing kata in competition?

Every timely action will bring results ... Without difficulty. Every untimely endeavor will fail ... If the moment is premature or if the right moment is missed. - The Tree Poem

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The massive, multiple kiais can raise the competitor's intensity level sometimes. For osme people that's what does it. For others I have seen very quiet forms, but the energy around them is amazing. To kiai a ton like I have seen, on almost every techinique, people can create this energy.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

kiais (IMHO) should not go on for ages. they are the expulsion of air from your lungs so you can have maximum tension at the moment of impact. they should not come from your throat, but from your hurra (three fingers below your bellybutton - the energy centre of your body...press it...go on!). a kiai from the throat is useless, and will just make you lose your voice!

Maybe Love Was The Thing Holding Me Back From All, Maybe I'm Just The Thing To Break My Own Fall

In our dojo, short kiais are what we learn. People who do the annoyingly long, shrill ones do push-ups. And then if you aren't loud enough you do push-ups. And if you do them at the wrong time, push-ups.....hmmm....lots of push-ups....

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

I know some judges who can't stand those kias. I personally usually throw in one or two long kias in my forms at the most intense strike(s)/finish(s), how you kia is really up to you. Most kias should probably be short and intense though, not long and boring. However, what irritates me even more than a long winded kia, is a screech. When I hear someone screech when they're trying to kia I want to just walk into the ring at that moment and take a shot at their mouth to shut them up :evil: (I have an urge to do this for other reasons to, but that's for later discussion :) )

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

At last year's regional qualifier a young boy did one of those really long, loud kiyups. He wanted to make sure everybody saw him. And they did. We all saw that he had eaten a blue snowball (snowcone) before competing. :lol:

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

haha...blue face!

I do very short intense yells, even in froms competition. Apparently I did something right, I have the 1st place trophy in my division to show for it. :brow:

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

And if you do them at the wrong time, push-ups.....hmmm....lots of push-ups....

There are kiais at preset points in kata, I agree. But labeling any other kiai as wrong is what I disagree with. Kiais should be a natural extension of any punch or kick. Maybe a person decided to put a bit more effort into a punch or kick sometime and they kiai. I do not think that is wrong. Maybe awkward in a dead silent class :lol:. One of the things instructors got other students to do at winter camp was to kiai on every count of the kata.

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

Kiai should be short and to the point. You have to ask yourself if you are wanting to draw attention to your kata or to your kiai?

I guess if you are not very good you should kiai for a long time. But remember, the louder and longer you kiai, the more people will be watching. They will be watching for Mr./Ms/ Loudmouth to screw up.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."