• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

high section kicks

I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me with my high section kicks? Especially turning kick (Roundhouse). I can bearly get to high section once but after chambering back my leg drops to middle section. I am short so most of my kicks that go to someones mid section is a low high section kick to me.. Any help on maybe my flexability and strengh training or technique I would be greatfull... :)

I will live my life at level 10... Every Day, Every Time, Without fail, No Exceptions!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do slow motion kicks. Hold on to something for balance, do your kick, and hold it once your leg is straight out, then re-chamber slowly. Make sure you pivot your supporting foot, also.

I don't know about anyone else, but I HAVE to pivot my supporting foot, chamber high as I can, then turn my hip over as I kick to get the kick up there. But the slow motion kicks above help build the muscles you need for kicking.

And of course, stretching helps :) http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6186 Here's a good thread on stretching.

I hope this helps.

Laurie F

The key to a high initial kick is getting your hips turned over, and you accomplish that with the pivot of your base foot so that your heel is pointed in the direction of your target.

If you cannot re-chamber and fire off the second kick at the same level or higher, you have a muscle strength problem. You must build strength in the muscles in the side of your hip and leg. many repetitions of slow, concentration sidekicks while holding onto a railing or even laying on your side can help.

--

thanks guys, I do think alot of my problem is a strength problem. but my flexability needs to improve.. It just seems as though i have hit a wall.. :)

I will live my life at level 10... Every Day, Every Time, Without fail, No Exceptions!!!

The key to a high initial kick is getting your hips turned over, and you accomplish that with the pivot of your base foot so that your heel is pointed in the direction of your target.

yup :)

All good advice...may I add just one point? The height of your kick is dictated by the height of your chamber, i.e, you will kick as high as your knee is pointed-so the goal is to develop the muscle strength and flexibility

needed to chamber the kick as well as execute it. Dynamic stretching is the key to this development and there are many good articles on the net about this. Simply stated, you must stretch while in full extension and contraction thereby isometrically working the proper muscle groups for each chamber and subsequent kick.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

From what i hear from all of you is that I need to work on my strength and flexability in order to be able to chamber my leg higher. Not so much to throw my leg high but to actually chamber it high so I can repeatedly kick and rechamber.. This is going to be a challange... Thank you very much to all of you...

you should do a lot of spit streaching and side split streaching and when you do round house kick do bipase roundhouse instead of turing all the way around act like u are doing a front kick and at the last moment switch into a round house kick