• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wing Chun, Tang Soo Do or Muay Thai for street fighting?

What would you choose?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What would you choose?

• Tang Soo Do
    • Wing Chun
    • Muay Thai

We've been having a debate in my college as to which martial art is better for self defence or street fighting!

The three arts all have their benefits, but I'm interested in what the general opinion is?

The more I train, the more I see the errors in my technique :(

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think any of those systems are any better than one another.I think it just depends on your preference of martial arts that you are interested in. I also think that any one of those styles you are referring to has the potential to be affective on the street for self defense giving that you learn from a legit instructor and have devoted time in learning it.

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think any of those systems are any better than one another.I think it just depends on your preference of martial arts that you are interested in. I also think that any one of those styles you are referring to has the potential to be affective on the street for self defense giving that you learn from a legit instructor and have devoted time in learning it.

Agreed.

Also it depends what suits you more. And where the training is harder.

Be everything. Be nothing.

im not too familiar with tan soo do so i cannot make a great judgement there. i know mixing mthai and wing chun is quite effective

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 8 KB.

I don't know anything about Tang Soo Do, but I know both Muay Thai and Wing Chun can be very effective in the street. Muay Thai for its devastating blows and the way it can handle shots, and Wing Chun for its speed, techniques, and nastiness. However, for Wing Chun to be very effective a practitioner must be very good. It seems simple to use, but you really need to become proficient in order to use it successfully. Too many wing chunners out there believe they have reached that stage and really haven't.

I totally agree with that ravenzoom. Lots of Wing Chun newbies have got false confidence at the beginning.

Be everything. Be nothing.

• 2 months later...

wing chun because I believe that's what works best for that type of situation.I'm not trying to insult the other stlyes but Muay thai is more sport oriented and tang soo do is good too ,but it isn't as know for that type of situation as wing chun is

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

I do Wing Tsun. It's my MA were I train the most for. But to use WT in a street situation you have to have years experience and train hard. Where I do WT I can tell the people who could defend themself in a street situation on one hand.

Now I recently started MT and I am pretty sure you can use it effective in a street situation only after a couple of months training. + The most who train MT where I train, can handle themself in a streetfight.

The reason is simple. The training methode is far superior + they get used to hits and know how they react when they are hit.

DOn't get me wrong I believe WIng Tsun is far better, but only after +5years of intensive training. With MT you can become much faster a good fighter.

Hard to pick which would be best as alot of it comes down to the indivdual and the skill level of the fighter . WC has great qualities that would translate well into a combat situation . Speed striking be the most obvious . ( often a WC student will overwelhm with speed} From my experiences with advance students of WC standing directly infront of then and trading strikes is not advised . MT students are very often tough as nails as a result of the method of trainning they use and possess great power in round house kicks and are ussually considered experts in infighting as knee and elbow strikes can be wicked at close range . In my experience their clinch is not a place you wish to be very often . ( I learned that one the hard way ) :bawling: And last but certainly not least TSD is often mistaken for kickboxing in a street fight with some comparisons to Karate . It is a sister art to TKD but focuses more on a balance of hands and feet and from experiences I have had with advanced TSD students you should not expect the huge holes in their defence that can sometimes be found in the fancy high kicks of TKD . If I am not mistaken one of the more famous students of TSD is Chuck Norris .

All three are amazing when done at high levels . The one advantage that I do see is that ( and this depends on the person ) MT can be learned at a quicker pace to higher levels . Partly because of the brutally physical training and partly because there are really only a handfull of techniques that are used in the system .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.