• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the difference between Okinawan and Shokotan?

15-lisa-newbie

I think the question could be reworded as: Why develop a set of reflexive responses which you do not intend to use in "live" applications.

I can see that in many cases, this could be a sort of driving a lesson home through exaggeration. If you want someone to use a medium stance in application, where they might otherwise tend to shorten up under stress, you teach them to start even lower. From this perspective, one might learn the mechanics of leverage, motion and execution under a less-than-ideal circumtance, so that an abbreviated version is more easily executed under stress.

It has been a long time since I visited a Shotokan dojo, so I cannot say if this makes sense in this line of conversation. I know for me, and most students I have had contact with, it would more often serve to confuse the development of smooth and effective reflexes, to learn a given technique in such different applications.

Just my humble opinion.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see that in many cases, this could be a sort of driving a lesson home through exaggeration. If you want someone to use a medium stance in application, where they might otherwise tend to shorten up under stress, you teach them to start even lower. From this perspective, one might learn the mechanics of leverage, motion and execution under a less-than-ideal circumtance, so that an abbreviated version is more easily executed under stress.

Exactly ! strenthening the ankle is one goal that can be achieved by this .Body conditioning for karate is best done by doing karate rather than gym workout .

never give up !

Body conditioning for karate is best done by doing karate rather than gym workout

Thats not necessarily true. Using a "proper" weight training programme can have a huge impact on a karate-ka's abilities.

Personally, after having used weights for over 30 years, I would not stop using them.

Weights not onlybn develops much needed strength but is also helps avoid injury. Just about every field of athletic endeavour today uses weights because the scientific research over the last 20 years shows the huge impact it has.

As my teachers has said "If you have two guys with similar ability and yet one is twice as strong as the other, who would you put your money on?"

Weight training has profound effects. I am not talking about body building weight training, I am talking about a properly constructed weight training programme for Karate/Martial Arts.

Its a good idea to read the weight chapter in James Fixx's book "Sports Peak Performance". This explains the body mechanics of weight training and the biological effects..

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

It has been my experience that properly balanced weight training and stretching programs greatly magnify the benefits of my Karate training. I make much more dramatic progress when I can find the time to have all of these in my routine. When time begins to get short (all too often, unfortunately) I drop the weight training, then the stretching routines. Mind you, when I talk about a Stretching program, this is in reference to a program separate from those which I do prior to, during and following my MA training.

These supplemental programs further improve overall health, body awarenss as well as the obvious strength and speed benefits, when properly balanced.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

It has been my experience that properly balanced weight training and stretching programs greatly magnify the benefits of my Karate training. I make much more dramatic progress when I can find the time to have all of these in my routine. When time begins to get short (all too often, unfortunately) I drop the weight training, then the stretching routines. Mind you, when I talk about a Stretching program, this is in reference to a program separate from those which I do prior to, during and following my MA training.

These supplemental programs further improve overall health, body awarenss as well as the obvious strength and speed benefits, when properly balanced.

I agree ,weight training has its own benefits of supplimenting one's physical activities, in our case karate .

never give up !