• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help to fight Goliath

psychomom

I run into this alot. I have 4 students that are much bigger than the rest of the class. Whenever I line people up to spar, I always get the question "How am I going to score on him?!"

First I tell them that a bigger person is just a bigger target (kinda the old saying, the bigger they are...) and to think of sparring as a game of tag.

Second, all of the info about circling is good information. To expand on that a little more. I teach my students that when 2 people face off, you create a line of fighting. If you drew a line between each other for forward movement, you have the "fight line". What you need to do is change and control that line. Moving to the left or right creates a new fighting line. The trick is to get your opponent to remain on the original line. If you can do this, you will be able to score much easier.

Third, I don't know if you can use what I call close combat techniques, such as elbows or knee strikes, but if you get within his comfort range, these are effective tactics, just make sure you strike and get out or to the side.

Hope this helps.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, some very good suggestions already.

Work on lateral movement, circling your opponent and changing your line of attack.

Remember also that many rediection techniques can also be preparations for strikes.

Good example against a jab/straight punch: Use a combination of the chamber for what is usually a Low Block / Down Block as a slapping redirection of the linear attack, while you move your body to the outside of the attacking limb. If you can move outside of the attack and forward simultaneously, all the better. This will often leave you with a hand chambered around your shoulder level, with your opponents outstretched arm next to you. Great set up for a backfist, which can be sent right back up th line of that attacking arm.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

My advice;

spar with him as much as possible. Just hang in there, do your best and learn learn learn, don't worry about winning.

At one year of training, everything you do now will be changed later. Try everything, don't worry about bad habits....of course you will create bad habits, everyone does then everyone changes them. :)

Smaller people are faster than bigger people. Even physics formulas prove this

A= F/M

Acceleration= force / mass

use your speed

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I'm 5'5" tall...everyone is taller than me:) When opposing someone tall I take advantage of their disability of being tall, I like to work very low...knees, groin and such and then work my way up. Most often my speed compensates for my size...I go around, under, etc. I've never felt disadvantaged when working with someone tall, actually it's all I've ever known.

acceleration is not speed.

also, all of them physics equations are based on singular point masses. we are not point masses and how 'quick' we are doen't follow that not to mention that physical speed is not the only factor in being quicker or not.

you can get a general idea about how much work it takes to move an arm or a leg but apart from that, it's pretty much meaningless.

there's also the point that you don't always need to be quick if you are accurate and precise in your movements.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

In addition to moving in a circular manner, when sparring with someone bigger than yourself, use more power than you normally would....not saying "crush" your dojo mate, but sting them a little...they will respect your power and make them a bit more leary.....Trust me I am 6'1" and weigh about 280..when I spar with someone smaller (alot of folks!!!), I am pleasantly suprised when I get "zinnged" good...Helps keep things in prespective :brow:

Just my mindless babble!!!

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

• 4 weeks later...

i would stay in close and try to jam his techniques.

leg comes up, jam it with a low palm heel block to get inside, keep in close and work the body.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

i would stay in close and try to jam his techniques.

leg comes up, jam it with a low palm heel block to get inside, keep in close and work the body.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

I'm somewhere between 6'5" and 6'6", but I only weigh 180 pounds (in other words, I'm a long stick with muscles).

Because of my long training, small weight and ridiculous height, I have more experience, speed, and reach than most people in my dojo.

However, there are those who are good at getting on the inside.

A few tips from things people have done to me:

1) When he kicks, you block/evade, then charge in while he's coming down. Unless he's really light on his feet, you should be able to make it inside.

2) When he moves in, you get lower and move in faster - hopefully, his strikes will go over or past, and you'll be in.

3) Move first

4) Once you're in, don't stop. Keep pressing forward until break is called.

5) Don't be afraid. Us giants aren't as invincible as we may seem from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down there (hehe).

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker