• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Single weave or double weave

jedimc

Hi

I gotta buy a judogi for my aikido classes should I go for the cheaper single weave or the more expensive double weave, I sorta want the double weave because I heard they last longer.

and there is a option for bleached or unbleached which one would you get.

thanks

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would go for the unbleached and depending on how much money I have i would go for double weave if i had the money. Thats what i would do =)

Extraordinary abilities can only come from extraordinary effort

I would buy a double weave gi. I have had my double woven gi for about 13 yrs now and the only thing that has went wrong with it was the collar has frayed over the years. It wolud probably be cheaper in the long run.

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

Becaus i like unbleached, theyre easy on your eyes ^^

While I prefer the color of the bleached, the unbleached will not have other color gis bleed onto yours as much. Took me a four hour soak in Oxyclean to get the red of my sensei's gi out of my new bleached white one.

Glad he switched to his black gi from now on.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness."

-The Book of the Void (A Book of Five Rings)

"Men don't start fights, but they do finish them."

I'd go for the double weave - it'll be worth it in the long run.

I'd prefer a bleached, but it's really down to personal (or Sensei!) preference.

Make sure that if you buy an unbleached gi that you'll be able to wear it in your dojo - my old Aikido instructor would only allow people to wear bleached do-gi.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

For aikido, I'd recommend a light single weave. Stress isn't so heavy in aikido as it is in judo. If you are allowed to wear a hakama, get a white kendo jacket - one with a split in back. It's better when you're having those sidecuts, won't look like a hassle.

A word of advice: If you don't wear a hakama, buy a single weave judogi and get a pair of heavyweight canvas pants with it. Usually the pants that come with light judogi (and even with double weaves) are pretty light fabric that will wear quickly in suwariwaza. It's worth to get an extra pair, preferably stronger fabric.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland