• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning the fan..Please help

XUechiGirlX

I am currently studying Uechi Ryu karate, and my sensei has told me that for black belt, I must learn a weapon. I learned the bo for a few months, but it didn't really "click" with me. Now, I would love to try the fan. The problem is, it isn't in our style and noone in our dojo knows how the kata goes. If I don't learn the fan I will learn the sai's, but the fan would really "click" with me. Mostly because im a small 15 year old girl..Anyway, my sensei said if I could find the fan kata online then I could learn it. So if anyone has some time on their hands to tutor me..or knows a website that teaches fan katas, PLEASE help me :) Thank you!! :lol: P.S. I'm not a white belt..how do I get the white belt off my screename? Thanks again.

Do not fear pain, for when you feel pain you know you are still alive.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the white belt just means how many posts you have, it'll change onc eyou get more posts. As for the fan, we learned it at camp, and a friend of mine knows it, but it is extremely long. A few people at my dojo know the fan, I will try and ask around for some help with that. Personally I do sais.

Yeah, the harisen is so not the easiest weapon to learn... and it really isn't too effective as a weapon so much a a shiled and deflector. Granted, it CAN do damage, but there's reason to learn it because of its defensive properties. I only know the most basic of maneuvers with the harisen, so I can't be of much help. Sorry.

Fortunately for you, I brought an entire bucket of STFU!

Must admit, that i am not too familiar with the style of martial arts that you practice, i have only ever been involved with the chinese arts, and even on that side their is not too much info on the fan available on the net, however, if it may help their is a chinese master by the name of Deyin Li that has a number of videos,dvd's and vcd's available for sale on various sites and and probabily in one or two of the online martial arts supply depots, more Taiji , Wushu and Gong Fu orientated, but it may help.

Without long practice one cannot suddenly understand Tai Chi : - Tai Chi Classics

honestly i'd learn the fan. it has become a very popular weapon at my school and the kata is really impressive. i know my instructor got it from a video but i don't know what video, i'll try to find out this week. or if you're really patient and can wait until i learn the kata (you have until you're a black belt so unless you're already up there in the ranks, i doubt there's a rush) then i can attempt to explain it via email with pictures and stuff.

I'm testing for brown belt in two days. This means I have untill the fall to learn the kata. Your offer sounds great to me! But would you really be willing to tutor me online? I'm asking because i have to actually get the fan or the sais. My AIM is XuechigirlX and my yahoo is uechiryuwarriorprincess. When will u start to learn the fan kata? Thanks!

Jenny

Do not fear pain, for when you feel pain you know you are still alive.