• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

teaching other students

Kumite King

The best way to comand respect is by carrying yourself with self-respect and confidence. If a student sees that you are a confident, self-respectful, and self-disciplined person, they will give you the respect you deserve. I used to resort to shouting at students and even gave out push-ups(I hate doing that, it just makes students hate them more during warm-ups), but now I've matured and simply command respect with my body language and tone of voice. Stern words, not shouting. Also, the right glance can put a student in there place, trust me, a person's eyes tell more than words ever can.

Good luck with your teaching...

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree. You can be stern enough without resorting to shouting. Many people see that as a loss of control and lose respect for you. Even if I was younger than you, I would view some teenager yelling at me as quite ridiculous. In some cases, even the opposite is better. If you talk to them quiety and firmly, they have to quiet down in order to listen to you.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Students who don't want to learn just need guided in the right direction.Yelling doesn't always help, although as everybody else said...discipline does. If somebody disrupts your class, tell themt hat this is the way your sensei taught you to do it, and if they have a problem then they can go to him. Or you oculd just pull them aside and tell them in all honesty that they need to be quiet, or else you will beat the living hell out of them..ok just kidding about that part...but in all seriousness tell them that it is rude to disrupt class and if they have a problem they can ask somebody else.

Not your problem. Teach the kids who want to be taught. Ask those who prevent others from learning to leave.

It's okay to push students to work harder. That's called coaching. However, some students just don't want to learn. You can't help those kids. Put your time and energy into teaching those who will benefit.

I am personally not a disciplinarian at the dojo. A karate instructor is not a babysitter. Students should be expected to cooperate. If they don't, there are plenty of other constructive ways to spend their time that they might be more interested in so that they can stop wasting everybody else's.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

Hey there... Teaching children is my passion, I'm a better teacher than martial artist. I've only been teaching Karate for about two years. I find what helps is to be stern, and be enthusiast. It's a tough combo to master but well worth it. Some of my kids have been doing Karate for a few years... they've done blocks a thousand times and are bored. Disguising repetition is most of my job. Make it fun, make noises, bring out equipment, make it interesting. When they are not being focused the stern part is a short lecture about the Karate Creed, or push up for everyone in the group.

As a parent I pay a lot of money for my children to do karate, I'm hoping it will build their confidence and self-image. This isn't basketball where only the easy kids with get the attention, this is Martial Arts. This is not a sport but a state of being, Mind, Body, and Soul. The type of kid that has to be dragged to karate needs the confidence more than anything. These kids are frankly the only who get picked on at school, they don't do any other sport or activity (minus the PS2 and Xbox.) This is their parents last resort.... That is you are their parents last resort.

The great thing about teaching Martial Arts is you learn more about yourself and what you are capable of when you work with the challenging students. Don't sell yourself short by giving up on the harder ones to work with. Half the battle is getting them in class once they are there, their are looking to be inspired.... Inspire them. After years of working with them, watching them move up the ranks, watching them hold their heads higher, and watch them go on to do wonderful things in their life, you will know you had something to do with it.

I'm slowly learning how to teach other students at karate but some just refuse to listen to me and mess around anyone got any advice?

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....