• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Visiting instructors (ksw mainly)

This could get to be a bad topic, but here goes: How much do you guys pay for visiting instructors? Our old instructor who left has . . . . not so subtly told us how often we should bring him down, and for what price. The problem is, we don't charge much for people to join ($70 a school year, 100 a full year), and he knows this. If we bring him as often and for as much as he wants, after paying for the space where we practice, insurance, etc, our club will have no money. I want to bring him down so the students can learn from someone of his level. At the same time, though, he doesn't show them anything that the upper ranked people at our school could (I know he knows it in more depth, but he does not show them that), and I don't like every cent we have going to him for putting in the same amount of teaching time in a year that the rest of us do in a week. Suggestions?

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You'll have to remind me where you are located.

I've never been in a dojang where we payed for anyone less than a Master to come in and guest instruct.

When I was up North, we would talk Master Sims into coming up about twice a year, 3 times at the most.

I can't remember what our school owners would pay him, but it was between $30-$60 per student for a two (full) day workshop. If the school owners didn't come up with enough students to pay for his expenses + net income, they would make up the difference.

However, like you mentioned, this was personalized instruction from a 7th degree Master, who went into great detail of how to perform the techniques.

You'll have to give more details, perhaps in a PM, of your old instrutor's rank, why he left, why he thinks he should be brought back if he left, etc.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Interesting topic.

I've been asked several times to put on some seminars in this state and only charged enough to pay for my expenses. Anything over and above that, and I'm embarassed and try to give it back.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I'm surprised at how few people think he should get some money. Its not that I don't want him down here to hold a seminar, I just dislike feeling I have to bring him down and for a lot of money (compared to what our club has). There are other factors, but they are things I can't really talk about on here. I shouldn't have brought this up, I guess I was just wondering what you guys did with visiting instructors.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I can't help... we haven't had a visting instructor during the 1 1/2 years I've been training in KSW (unless it happened when I was on vacation or something, but I probably still would have heard about it).

Usually when we have guest instructors, they don't get paid.

We take care of their hotel expenses if needed, in addition to any travel expenses, and pay for their meals.

If you prefer paying him something over taking care of the expenses yourself, calculate what it will cost him for the above, and pay him that.

From the sound of it, though, he's inviting himself, on multiple occasions. That breaks the line of ettiquette in my opinion.

This could get to be a bad topic, but here goes: How much do you guys pay for visiting instructors? Our old instructor who left has . . . . not so subtly told us how often we should bring him down, and for what price. Suggestions?

If he "left" why not politely decline his offer?

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

This could get to be a bad topic, but here goes: How much do you guys pay for visiting instructors? Our old instructor who left has . . . . not so subtly told us how often we should bring him down, and for what price. The problem is, we don't charge much for people to join ($70 a school year, 100 a full year), and he knows this. If we bring him as often and for as much as he wants, after paying for the space where we practice, insurance, etc, our club will have no money. I want to bring him down so the students can learn from someone of his level. At the same time, though, he doesn't show them anything that the upper ranked people at our school could (I know he knows it in more depth, but he does not show them that), and I don't like every cent we have going to him for putting in the same amount of teaching time in a year that the rest of us do in a week. Suggestions?

Who's school is it anyways? Who has the licensing agreement to run the club?

Found Kuk Sool and stopped looking!