• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Frequency (Poll)

I would also have to define full contact a little better. Us upper ranks to tend to throw harder at each other. With the lower ranks and it is only medium to light contact.

Same with us. Well, I do anyways. Some are a bit rough on the lower ranks, but they get yelled at usually. I do let the lower ranks pound on me if they want so they can feel what a full contact kick feels like when it lands. But I go easy on them.

My old TSD dojang used to spar with anything goes (just no hitting to the face or groin for safety reasons). I used to love doing take-downs :D I kinda .... wrong word. I DO miss that :( That could be the reason why I hate WTF rules.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I would also have to define full contact a little better. Us upper ranks to tend to throw harder at each other. With the lower ranks and it is only medium to light contact.

Speaking of going rough on lower ranks. Thursday night we had our sparring clinic and had a very good showing of 20 students. Our chief instructor was very pleased about that. But, we have this cocky young blue belt (17) that has been warned many times about his contact level. We had some new green belts in class and their first time sparring that were getting apprehensive about sparring because he was trying to crush them.

I knew this had to be dealt with, so instead of giving him another verbal warning, I lined up in front of him. After blocking a couple of wildly thrown punches and kicks, I sidestepped and reverse punched him in the gut. I helped him to the office and once again chatted with him about his conduct.

Hopefully, knocking the wind out of him will get through where words alone would not.

Consequently, this kid will not be testing for rank until he can demonstrate proper respect for his classmates and honor of higher ranks.

I am hoping that he does come around, though as he does have some talent.

2nd Degree Black ITA Tae Kwon Do