• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Touch-and-go, 3-or-more...

I was wanting to see what everybody's school emphasizes on while sparring? We have two major things we work on. The first is touch and go..what this means is when an opponent throws something at you, it has to come back tot he soemtime, so as it does come back to them, you want to take advantage of it because it leaves a gap in their defense. So when you see the gap, you exploit it and attack it. Also this means that as soon as you block, you should counter...every time, all the time.

Number too is 3 or more will always score. This means always do three techniques when sparring or in a tournament, not just 1, not just 2, but 3. That way, if you even do score with 2 good techniques, but the judges don't see it, continue to throw that last technique in. It's nothing like 3-step sparring. It's just instead of limiting yourself to 1 or 2 techniques, why not throw in 3 or more to get the point? How about all of your guys'/girls' dojos? What do they emphasize on in sparring?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My friends and I emphasize blocking and parrying, and moving the force to one side while counterattacking, most commonly in the form of a strike.

Fortunately for you, I brought an entire bucket of STFU!

what this means is when an opponent throws something at you, it has to come back tot he soemtime, so as it does come back to them, you want to take advantage of it because it leaves a gap in their defense.

Not necessarily. If you know what you're doing, you will know NOT to leave that gap in your defense. Or you should anyway.

Also this means that as soon as you block, you should counter...every time, all the time.

Usually, yes...but not "everytime, all the time". If the person you're fighting is prepared for you to do this, he will nail you "everytime, all the time".

Number too is 3 or more will always score.

Question...your sensei is teaching you this stuff, or are you making it up???

This means always do three techniques when sparring or in a tournament, not just 1, not just 2, but 3. That way, if you even do score with 2 good techniques, but the judges don't see it, continue to throw that last technique in.

If your judges are that bad that they can't see points, then you're at tournaments with some pretty crappy judges IMHO.

It's nothing like 3-step sparring. It's just instead of limiting yourself to 1 or 2 techniques, why not throw in 3 or more to get the point?

Point fighting, or the street...yes, don't limit yourself to just one technique. But...you need to fight wisely grasshopper. Mix it up...sometimes one attack...sometimes two.,..or three...or more. To get into a pattern of any sort is never a good idea. An experienced fighter will see that pattern and exploit it to his advantage.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Well to answer one of your questions, before we go to tournaments yes, our sensei does teach us this and it seems to work quite fine :) . I'm not saying you should get into a set "pattern" of 3 or more, always mix it up....you're right there, I was simply stating that sometimes they do not see the points, it happens...at all tournaments...that's why if they don't call something keep throwing techniques.

Another thing, I know when you touch and go if they're ready they'll nail you, that's why you have to be ready to block and counter. Sparring is a game, it's the easiest thing in the world once you know how to do it. Thats' why when you see karate fighters sparring, they go back and forth back and forth, it's constant "touch and go"...one hits, it's block, countered, the other blocks that, counters, etc... There's also the "leave yourself open" method. If you block high where do you think your opponent will hit? Low...exactly...same with if you block low, they'll hit high. Then you will be able to block this and counter it.

Also, it is an immediate gap whenever you recoil a punch, sure you have another hand/foot available, and are encouraged to use it, but it doesn't mean that even the best fighters still won't have a gap there ;) .

Sorry, the internet isn't justifiable for "clarifying" things as you'd need to have them clarified to understand what I mean...I'll discuss it more in depth with ya later..