• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fat guy

I am surprised no one here has mentioned the pressure points in the shoulders. When fighting a severely overweight opponent, the pressure point where the shoulder meets the upper part of the pectoral muscle is the quickest way to score some damage points.

I would use a trigger finger or poison thumb, dart in, strike, dart out, rinse and repeat. The solar plexus is also one part of the body that won't be protected by fat or muscle, and as such is always a good target.

~A!

Smiling burns calories, and it toughens up your face.

http://mullaneycenter.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been kicked in the groin in a fight and didn't feel it until afterward. I know several others who have had the same experience. groin shots aren't always the finishers that people think they are, consequently, I don't advocate them as a means of quick self defense. I agree with the rest of your post though.

They aren't the finishers people think they are, correct. But how you hit them (steel toed boots? Angle? Power?) how many times you hit them and what other targets you're attacking makes a difference. I agree that just attacking the groin can be a bad idea, just like only attacking the eyes can be a bad move. That doesn't mean that gouging at somebody's eyes while repeatedly kneeing their groin will merely amount to two ineffective techniques.

Rember, the groin isn't just the testacles, but the bony part just above. It hurts a lot to get hit there, and is not so well covered by the legs.

Groin shots :bawling: can be made to work. I think they're a good idea for every self defense program because openings do happen, and they don't require a huge amount of physical strength.

*one more edit* There is the added benefit of the small but non-negligible chance that you'll prevent a bad person from having kids. As martha Stewart might say "It's a good thing."

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I totally agree with longarm25, considering that I am a big guy, not obese by any means but football player big. 260 lbs and 6 foot tall. Now I can understand all of these coments if the "fat guy" has no formal training but what about the fat guy that does? Most would asume that larger guys are weaker at the knees but in my case, I lift weights and run regularly and my knees are very strong. I push about a thousand lbs with my legs and I can run the hundred yard dash in 10 flat. My bench is about 375 lbs and I sqat 515lbs. I'm not saying that being stronger is better but I am saying that you just don't know what a person is capable of until you witness it for yourself. I have a gut on me and it has never ever been a factor in a fight that I have had. As far as bigger people being slower, I wouldn't belive everything you hear. With all ego aside, I am extremely fast with my hands and feet. I am also very flexible. I understand that a groin shot would be effective against a big guy but wouldn't it be effective against anyone?Given that someone doen't know how to defend against it.I think that fat really isn't a factor in being able to with stand more punishment.What I do think is that it comes down to a persons pain threshold to take punishment to the body.Now , I do agree if the fat guy is so extremely obese that it is hard for him to walk, let alone fight, he will easily be defeated, but to catogorize all fat people is a mistake that you probably don't want to make.As far as someone running from a fat person and thinking that they will not catch up, that might be the case with some, but don't think that it will always work. I have spent many days chasing people down on foot, mainly criminals,skinny ones, and I have never lost yet. Just thought I would do my part to defend the "fat" people on this forum, were not all as slow and sloppy as one might think. Its definitlly a advantage for me when some one underestimates my abilitys in a street fight just because i am big.

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

i think no one underestimates fat or big guys or else this forum will not be existing , lol ... i agree that a big guy who does some training , might be lethal even if he is not that fast , you got me ?? any way , i also don't think that big fat guys are always slow , sometimes they are faster than skinny ones ...

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

We used to box a lot in my street and I'd always love fighting the fat guys. They were sooooo slow, I'd hit them ten or so times and they wouldn't have hit me once.

Ju Jitsu

Kenpo

Pressure Point Fighting

Capoeira

Oopgrub Wrote

We used to box a lot in my street and I'd always love fighting the fat guys. They were sooooo slow, I'd hit them ten or so times and they wouldn't have hit me once.

Athletic fat guys can be very deceiving. Don't expect them to be always slow, they aren't. I would like to see you do this to one of the fat NFL offensive linemen.

IF you need to fight with a big fat guy then its not wise to use grapple cause the big fat guy might be very strong, so i preffer hitting and kicking. and you can always run away from a big fat guy unless you are one yourself

What hurts you but doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

I have seen once , in a kyokushin tournament a fat short guy , who was about 160 pounds , verry short according to his weight , any way , i was surprised by his agility and his speed , in fact he defeated most of the fighters in his categorie , that oppose the theorie that says all fat are slow

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike