• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fat guy

A big fat guy in the street. I don't mean big, I mean big and fat.

What are the pros and cons of fighting a big fat opponent. Does all that fat offer any protection? Is the extra weight very useful? God help you if one gets on top of you!

What does everyone think abot fighting a big fat guy?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've done this in jujitsu many times, and let me just say this: If he gets on top of you, you have gotten yourself into a huge mess. So normally, big fat guys are also very slow...so you can generally always get them with speed. Depending upon how big you are, they may or may not have more power than you, so don't let them slug on you..get in, and get out. You know the saying....it's old but it IS true...The bigger they are.... you finish the rest ;)

Those big fat guy might have a power advantage. If they have no martial art training at all they definitely have problem with balance which you can take advantage for an easy take down. If he's a trained martial artist you need to use your speed advantage for that. And one more thing usually when you are fighting a big fat guy stamnia is on your side if you can't defeat him by meeting head on try out last them cause they will get tired sooner than you are.

Oh, that's another good point dingyuan brought up. I was at a tournie yesterday for jujitsu, and I was watching a friend of mine spar. He was WAYYYYY tinier than this other guy, but he won because he didn't give the other guy a break. I told him, that if the big guy tried to clinch, unclinch and keep kicking him or make him struggle, don't let him see daylight without giving it a hard breather...and he won. He outlasted the other guy and tapped him out.

You need to be careful with the big guys. I'll assume that you're not talking about fat as in so fat he needs a stick to go to the bathroom. For that guy, you can just walk to the end of the block and he'll never catch you. For someone a little smaller, you want to use any speed you have to your advantage.

Big guys can be explosive and powerful. One hit and you may not get back up. They are built like football players. But that can work to your advantage. With mass comes momentum. That means straight lines. That means you need to learn all about angles.

Big guys do a great job of launching attacks, even series of combos. But they must maintain their momentum. If you can force them to break that, then they must spend more energy to change that direction - energy they may not have available.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Anyone remember I think it was UFC 1 when that BIG guy was up against the cage? and the Skinny dude drilled him in the mouth with a kick? You take advatage of the big guy not being able to get up that fast, mount him even

He will be vulnerable at the knees, ankles, throat, eyes, nose, groin...if you can find it:) Speed is the key here, along with multiple hits to vulnerable areas. As others have said...don't let his size fool you....I've seen "fat" guys that could move like cats!

As others have said...don't let his size fool you....I've seen "fat" guys that could move like cats!

good point. never underestimate any opponent.

pros? umm.. you might be able to out run him. That's always a reasonable option (unless for some reason, you have to fight him)

I agree with the fact that he's probably going to have a little slower movement in general, but with all that weight, has more mass behind any strike he has, so even without technique, will still carry some good power.

How to take him down? Every human body has certain weak points (also stated in previous posts): knees, throat, groin, face. These are your best odds. No matter how big or small someone is, a punch in the throat would kinda ruin their day..

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

In my opinion, I would say the best way to survive a "Fat Guy" would be to apply basic principles of physics in your training more often. Whether the guy is bigger or smaller than you, he still has the same mechanics as any other human being and there are many techniques out there that utilize this concept accurately and effectively(at least in San Soo...). For example; Arm breaks, leverages (more knee leverages, arms, ect... than throws in this particular case...). And lets not forget my personal favorite target, the groin...I don't care how big he is, that will break him down no matter what...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant