• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side and Swing kicks

I don't see the problem. Whe he tries to kick you with a roundhouse kick. You advance in, kick with your front leg in his balls. You will always be faster, beacue you take the most short/direct way. Than you follow your first leg, so you land it between his feet.. so that you closed the distance.. trap him and than; punches, elbows, headbutts....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You got arms? A proper guard will absorb and redirect a high/medium-high kick even if you're slow to know it's coming.

Nimble footwork is a must. Don't get bogged down in posing in stances that aren't alive. Don't, in fact, do anything that isn't alive.

There's a difference between intent and wearing blinkers. If you're too rigid and just not open enough to go with the flow, nothing will work right.

Rgds,

David

** Censor-O-Meter: 9 **

oh I forgot to mention hand positioning. When you're fighting, keep your hands way out. This does 1 of 3 things. Firstly, by keeping your hands out it creates more distance between you too..where it makes them think a bit more of what they have to do to get in and score, as to where if your arms are close and into you it will bring them in and not worry about how far out your hands are. Secondly, if you have your hands out, it takes much less effort to block, try this: Put your arms into you like a boxer, ask a friend to kick about to your waist, and throw a downward block at it. Do you see how slow and how long it took you to get your arm all the way from you to your knee? Now Hold your arms out a lot more, ask him to kick again, throw another downward block....do you see how much less you have to go to block that kick? Ok, now last but not least, if your hands are in, it brings in hard punches and kciks, where if your hands are out, you can block them before they get to you.

roundhouse kick - arcing kick... you have alot you can do with this one.

if it comes to the midsection, catch the kick and slide to the side as you do so in order to minimize impact. Once you have caught his leg, you can step in and sweep him.

if the kick is high, just duck. that may be safest. another thing you can do - if it's a follow through roundhouse (a la muay thai) as opposed to a snapping one is to step back slightly and let it pass by you. use your hands to shove the kick past, exposing his back to you. Another thing you can do is step in - crod his space. the roundhouse is an arcing kick - if you step in, you will impact it before it reaches the height of its power and it won't hurt. In addition, you have the opportunity to off balance him.

with the sidke kick, sidestep it. either that or rush in to jam him. it's a straight line kick though, so rushing in on it will be harder than stepping in on a roundhouse.

Heh, a lot of style-specific advice being given here, so let me add my two cents here.

Roundhouse kicks above the waist -

Moving in isn't a bad thing. There is more force at the end of the leg (foot) in a roundhouse kick then say, if they hit you with their thigh - think about this. Your hip has to move just a few inches for the toes to move a foot.

So, given that you've gotten inside, you can strike, block, or catch, and follow with a strike or sweep.

This is just how our style operates, we tend to move in and jam.

As far as hand positioning goes, I'm going to have to have a stylistic disagreement here - long arms do keep distance, but there really are only two distance you need to be concerned with - kicking and punching. Having your arms extended more outwards will put you more into a kicking range, at which point you're back to trying to figure out these confounded roundhouse kicks. Also, with an outer guard, you can't punch effectively. You'd have to draw your hands back to punch, which is the best way to telegraph a punch. And since hands are for punching, it makes sense to have your hands at a position they can punch from. I prefer a closer guard, with any sort of distance in the hands coming more from hipwork.

That might not make sense, so heres a little demonstration - stand with your hips facing front, squared off. Put your hands in a guard, but put your elbows to your hips. Now draw one hip back - the hands dont move, but the distance between them grows. This is how we get range in my style.

Also, if reactions bug you, you just need to keep sparring. Believe me, eventually you'll adapt a way that you find best, and the roundhouses won't bother you anymore.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

Style-wise, I would like any taisavaki-jutsu techniques best, but in my style (which is a mixture of about 6) normally I would go inward and towards the arcing kick and two-hand check it to injure his leg AND block the kick. Sidekicks are supposed to be counterkicked, but I just can't seem to get that down. But thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm going to use it soon. ^_^ If anyone has any more advice, especially taisavaki-jutsu, then please post it for me.

Fortunately for you, I brought an entire bucket of STFU!