• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flips and handsprings??? ... ?? .. ? .

15-lisa-newbie

My master is 2nd degree blackbelt, im just wondering does everyone know how to do flips and everything when they are a black belt? or do only certain people learn. i really want to learn thing like back handsprings.. but im not sure if my master can teach me. does anyone here have any information?

"you wouldnt care what people thought of you, if you knew how seldom they really did."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flips and handsprings look really cool. However, most martial arts schools do not teach or require them due to their lack of practicality. I suppose they help flexibility and whatnot. I won't say anything about your school or those that do have them as required techniques, but most schools do not.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

In Shotokan karate? Never. Closest to a flip you get will be in the jump of Unsu-kata. Flips, handsprings and other movements are not a part of the Shotokan curriculum.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Shotokan doesn't emphasize on flips and handsprings, if you want to learn those, I seriously doubt your isntructor can teach them to you. Try it on a tramoline, or possibly try a gymnastics class around? Then you could possibly take that to martial arts if you wanted to, but just remember that shotokan is a very traditional style with no flips or back handsprings.

Gymnastics classes are about the only surefire way to learn flips that I know of.

Possibly Wu-Shu classes.

Id seriously advise you against trying to learn flips by yourself if you value your spine.

OSU.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I'd suggest taking an XMA or WuShu or gymnastics class in order to be able to learn flips, springs etc. Unless your instructor teaches gymnastics or XMA-type martial arts along with Shotokan, then you're unlikely to learn gymnstic movements such as flips in a Shotokan class.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

if you do creative kata, i highly suggest learning them. there are a lot of benefits. your leg strength increases a lot and you have a new awareness of your body and balance. i started doing cartwheels when i was 5 and now i'm a week from being 17 and i can do backflips and aerials and butterfly twists; i taught them all to myself and i've never broken a bone. just know you're limits and really think about what your doing.

for example- if you're scared to do a backhandspring, consider this. you can jump forward into a handstand can't you? it's the same distance and the same jump requirement to jump backwards into one.

thinking like that will really get you to progress quickly. also- buy a trampoline. they're the best thing ever.