• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

beginner just feelin stupid... help me with pronunciation..

15-lisa-newbie

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
what about ryu?

and kwuen?

I don't think I have heard of kwuen, but ryu is pronounced somthing like roo...and kiotske is like key-oats-kay....or something like that :D

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

Just be careful of dipthongs when you use words like Key-oats-kay to sound out Japanese words. There is a difference between short (length-wise) and extended syllables.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Just be careful of dipthongs when you use words like Key-oats-kay to sound out Japanese words. There is a difference between short (length-wise) and extended syllables.

Your right...sorry about that, it's really hard to try and give pronunciations with a keyboard !!!!!!!:) Thanks for catching that Shorin Ryuu.

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

Your right...sorry about that, it's really hard to try and give pronunciations with a keyboard !!!!!!! Thanks for catching that Shorin Ryuu.

No prob...I was just warning her, actually. I don't like giving pronunciation via the keyboard to people who don't know the "proper" way (there's actually 2 main accepted methods) of romanizing Japanese just because the way it can be mispronounced without taking certain things into account, so I understand where you're coming from.

skeet, is actually spelled Tsuke. yes it does mean attention

Well, it's more like "Ki o tsuke", to be more precise. Actually, in even more precise terms, it's "ki wo tsuke". But yes, it does mean "Attention" in a more military/discipline/school sense. It's a very big sign of the Japanese influence on karate.

"Ki" meaning mind or spirit (yes, the same ki you hear about all the time) and "tsuke" (NOT pronounced Tsook...) meaning to fasten/attach/append, although in this context, more like "bring order to" or "get control over"...something along those lines. The "wo" is pronounced "o" and is just a particle used for grammatical purposes to indicate a direct object. People just say it really fast, as it's become a common expression.

You can say "kiotsukete", which is actually a more polite (more or less) of saying kiotsuke and is an expression just meaning "take care" or "be careful" (you say it to someone as you are parting, for example).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/