• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New techniques or polishing old ones?

I received my 3rd dan in TKD a couple of months ago, and I've learned Taebek. I was just wondering if there are any new techniques to learn in between 3rd and 4th dan, or if you just improve on old ones. I know it probably depends on the school, but tell me about your experiences from 3rd to 4th. I'm going to have to train for at least 4 years before I can promote, so I hope there's something new to learn! :)

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Generally speaking, once you reach 3rd dan, the emphasis is on personal development of your art and self, i.e., teaching skills and accomplishments, development of new combinations and self defense techniques utilizing previous curriculum, research and article submmission, promotion of your style, and of course continuing your quest for the perfect punch. Some systems add forms and elements of other styles at this level but remember that there is always room for improvement.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I don't know specifically of TKD's policies on this, but to me polishing old techniques is just like learning new ones. You'd be surprised how much you can teach yourself. Granted I'm not a 3rd Dan on anything, but after i got my black-candidate I found myself teaching myself thing about my old techniques I never noticed before. We are required to stay at that rank for at least a year, so we are taught new techniques at a very slow rate because there aren't many, so we spend most of our time training our old techniques, it's surprising how much you can teach yourself. Two words: "what if?" Also, you'll begin to learn about about yourself as a martial artist and as a person.

So remember: there's always something new to learn, you just may have to look a bit harded.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

I agree with wtKempostudent. I am so fired up with training again because I just realized how to improve even the basic techniques. I'm only a red belt. But like you, I won't learn that much more. I will learn two forms before BB (I'll probably test for it in the spring). That's it (I know the other stuff already). So I decided on improving my technique. Even the littlest things like chambering a punch or a block, that sort of thing. I'm having fun with it :)

Laurie F

To be honest, most of the "new techniques" run out in TSD by about 5th Gup. I mean, yeah, you'll get plenty of new forms, weapons, etc... But the forms pretty much use the core techniques. Aside from the occasional strange move like the U Punch from Bassai, of course.

Instead, your basics should reflect the time spent working on them. Obviously, a 3rd Dan's side kick should be better than a green belt's. And even if the 3rd dan has a shot knee and can't kick anymore, they should be able to teach the kick, analyze technique, suggest improvement, etc. These things are what grows from 2nd to 3rd Dan, 3rd to 4th: increased, complex understanding of the technique.

I think this bugs a lot of people. The external "carrots" for the next rank aren't as frequent. We go from learning a new form every 3 months to spending 3-4 years on 1 or 2 forms. My next form could be YEARS away, whereas I learned in 4 years as a gup something like 13 hyung. :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

We are required to stay at that rank for at least a year, so we are taught new techniques at a very slow rate because there aren't many, so we spend most of our time training our old techniques, it's surprising how much you can teach yourself.

Wow.....sorry about that run-on.......I just realized how immature that post sounded :o . Won't happen again, I think....

Anyway, I might as well add to the thread...

Another thing you can do to teach yourself "new" techniques is to look at your old forms. Examine different ways to apply a movement. There are so many different ways to interpret the same move, it's amazing. One of my favorite things to do is to practice bunkai. I always try to apply a move in as many ways as possible, my first goal usually being five different applications (sometimes slight change in the movement is needed of course). That goes for anything from a string of strikes to a simple step (leg check maybe?) or turn (a wrist lock takedown?). Have fun, four years should be more than enough time for you to find hundreds of hidden techniques throughout your system!

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Thanks everyone! Looks like I have my work cut out for me! :D

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

I received my 3rd dan in TKD a couple of months ago, and I've learned Taebek. I was just wondering if there are any new techniques to learn in between 3rd and 4th dan, or if you just improve on old ones. I know it probably depends on the school, but tell me about your experiences from 3rd to 4th. I'm going to have to train for at least 4 years before I can promote, so I hope there's something new to learn! :)

In upper ranks (I am told) the differences are more mental than physical. In our organization, 5th Degree is considered to be the peak of your physical learning. In theory, a 6th Degree Master will not perform a sidekick any different or "better" than a 5th Degree. The difference is in the application.

My instructor explains it in the following manner: "When I spar a 5th degree, when I attack, he blocks and then crushes me. When I spar a Master and I attack, he blocks me while he crushes me."

2nd Degree Black ITA Tae Kwon Do

And even if the 3rd dan has a shot knee and can't kick anymore, they should be able to teach the kick, analyze technique, suggest improvement, etc. quote]

You talkin' to me? :lol:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/