• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which is better: Macho or Century?

kahasham

I am looking to get foam sparring gear for TKD and was wondering which manufacturer is better - Macho or Century. I got Century's catalog and they have Century Classic Gear and Macho Dyna Gear listed - both are the same price so I am just trying to determine better in terms of quality and longevity.

Also, I found sets online that are around $60 (head, hands, feet) made my both companies. Should I be worried about the quality of that gear? Here are the links:

http://www.martialmart.com/macspargears.html

http://www.karate-mart.com/macsparset.html

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In case you haven't checked the post you put up on the Korean Martial arts forum, I posted a reply for you there.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Thanks a lot for your input.

Got a question about he Adidas hogu, because I need one of those too. When you got your's, did you get it from a shop or order it from somewhere? I was wondering if you know a store that might have it so I can try one on. I am in Dallas, TX, but if you know of a major shop like Oshman's or Academy (which I found out today has sparring gear) that would be great.

The Adidas protector I have used was from the equipment that the university had. I'm sure that if you check online you'll be able to find one at a reasonable price. A hogu is generally going to run you $40-$60. That's the only problem with protective gear in the martial arts, it tends to get a bit pricey.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I have the macho warrior stuff, with the xp head set (the really shiny black set). It looks great for tournaments, but for sparring in class I'm going to get a different set. I'm investigating a couple different sets at the moment. The shiny plasticy stuff doesn't last more than a year, I want something thats either a really strong vinyl or leather...but I have to be careful because I'm slightly restricted by my sensei as to what I can wear.

1kickKO: Which stuff from century are you using? The vinyl stuff or the shiny stuff like I have? I think I saw someone with a sturdy century pair of gloves (at the time it was coming at my face so I had more important things to think about then the design of the gloves...) but since century is pretty cheap I might look into that route if they have a sturdy set...

Actually I wear the cloth pads...I have had this pair for about 2 years now and they are still holding strong, and whenever they get sweaty, they are washer and dryer safe. I wear the arm and hand protector, and then for legs I wear the shin and foot protector. It is great stuff..and comes in white and black. I've yet to try the vinyl...but I might when I go to Ireland to compete.

I swear by Century. In fact i made a trip to their retail store this past weekend for some more books and what-nots. Their products are very durable. I've fought with Century equipment older than me before. You can usually get an Instructor's discount if you can prove that you own a school. I'm sure i'm the only one on here within driving distance, but everything is cheaper in the retail outlet in Midwest City, OK; plus they have a continuously updating clearance rack.

Anyway, Century.