• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whoa this smells fishy!!

It'd be interesting to see if he was a good teacher or not.

He's qualified to compete, sure, but to teach?

Teaching is a whole new world. I know black belts who have three times the experience of Chris Gallio who have flawless forms and powerful strikes, but are horrible teachers.

15 is a rough age. To be teaching a school of martial arts? Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

And as far as starting his training at 4 - that's not a huge thing. Can you really say that at 4 years old you were ready to start training martial arts, and if so, get promoted in rank? You can do the movements (Which apparently Gallio is champion at), but you can't do the martial art.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....let's not forget that the world of and teaching of sports martial arts is not that similar in content and intent compared to what the majority of us here do.

i guess this is in a way, a question of whether or not, when you take into consideration what it is we are dealing with here (XMA/sport martial arts), what plays a more important part, age/time experience or actual forms comps experience.

by the way, i am talking about the imagined 16 year old with 8 years training/forms comps eperience who decides he wants to teach his xma to people.

i am not talking about chris gallio, who for one cannot defend what he does on this forum and so i don't think any of us are really qualified to make definite judgements on.

the point is, i agree that if it were something else he were teaching

i.e a traditional fighting art

then i'd have qualms about him heading a school.

thing is, we're not talking about that.

we are talking about a guy who is good at what he does (xma) and is successful at what he does.

remember these guys more often than not, choreograph their own forms, practice their own forms, film them and critic themselves.

their success is based purely on their own hard work and experience on what works (in their field).

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

Well he's at least better than having a six year old black belt ...that just makes me sick just thinking about that.

When my sensei won the goodwill games in mexico there was a 5th dan 5 year old girl...trying to tell him what to do :lol: she said "I'm a higher belt then you so you have to listen to me" LOL. He informed her he was happy that she was a higher belt then him, but unfortunatly that didnt' mean he had to listen to her. hahaha I would of loved to of been there to see the look on her face :) Her father is her 'sensei' makes me wonder what kind of teacher he is hahaha....maybe you get shodan for doing 10 push ups? :lol: :lol: :lol:

a 5th dan 5yr old? I'm a blue belt and I would take her over my knee for disrespect. A 5yr old belongs in little dragons class running/jumping/playing, not being given an overexaggerated sense of ability by being handed the rank of 5th dan...maybe she just needed to get out of diapers to reach shodan, then every dan after that was for cleaning her plate.

5yr old 5th dan...sheeesh....whatever. :roll:

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

a 5th dan 5yr old? I'm a blue belt and I would take her over my knee for disrespect. A 5yr old belongs in little dragons class running/jumping/playing, not being given an overexaggerated sense of ability by being handed the rank of 5th dan...maybe she just needed to get out of diapers to reach shodan, then every dan after that was for cleaning her plate.

5yr old 5th dan...sheeesh....whatever. :roll:

My thoughts exactly...

Well he's at least better than having a six year old black belt ...that just makes me sick just thinking about that.

There was this little boy that attended the same dojo that i did a long time ago. He legitimately made it to blue belt. he attended a class at a different school one day and came back a Black Belt. That caused a lot of contraversy, as you can imagine. He competed in Black Belt competitions for a while, but of course never won, becuase we was less than 8, maybe 6 - point is, he was young. After he got the Black Belt, he didn't want to be called 'little Joey' anymore, it was 'Joe' for him.

...kids...