• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching

Sevenstar i agree yes you shouldn't leave yourself vulnerable but what i ment, which i didn't explain properly my fault, is that while in training and beginning you should over exagerate (sp) your punches to get the feel and movement down. Hope that makes more sense.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Who punches faster, de la hoya or tyson? Who do you suppose hits harder? theoretically, if de la hoya punched fast enough, he could hit harder than tyson, but humans are only capable of producing so much speed. This is part of the reason why we have weight classes.

Caeteris Paribus. (latin translation: "all other things held equal")

You're not holding all things equal when you compare de la Hoya and Tyson. To do damage to anything - bodies, wooden boards, concrete slabs, engine blocks - you have to produce more stress than the receiving object can take. We all agree on that, correct?

Below is the equation for stress.

(Mass) * (Distance) / ( (Surface Area) * (Time)^2 )

Having not been there to actually see the testing, all of the following is assumed. de la Hoya is faster than Tyson. Time is in the denominator, so a smaller number (less time) makes that equation larger. But is he fast enough to counter Tyson's HUGE increase in mass? I would guess that at that level of competition, the speed improvement is actually quite negligible.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

is there some way to improve the punching speed?

i though something like attaching weights (like ankle wieghts) to your arms and keep punching so you get faster. will that work?

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

i though something like attaching weights (like ankle wieghts) to your arms and keep punching so you get faster. will that work?

To answer this, you need to know about the two types of muscle: slow twitch and fast twitch. Slow twitch muscles are lean, aerobic, endurance muscles. Fast twitch muscles are thick, anaerobic, power muscles.

If you want speed, you must build up fast twitch muscles. If you want endurance, you must build up slow twitch muscles. If you're a mesomorph, your body is perfectly balanced between the two muscle types.

Unfortunately, like so many other things, your body type has a lot to say about how much speed vs endurance you will ever have.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Yes and no and either way its dangerous. if you overload your joints you will tear them. How strong you are has nothing to do with this. To much weight will damage your arms. If you want to use wrist weights, start off with one or two pounds per arm and work that way. work a punching bag or use them when you spar. Then after you've used them for a few months and you've gained speed, go up a HALF POUND. or something like that

Strength is no match for skill

I don't think hand weights would be an efficient way of increasing hand speed. Because the weight is pulling down they are training the muscles that lift your hands, not the ones used for throwing your fists out horizontally. To work those muscles you'd need to do bench presses, push ups etc, mimicking the hand movements, but do them explosively not repetitively. But watch some docos of muhammed ali, he practiced hand speed by shadow boxing and hitting target mitts. As he proved in Zaire he could through a straight right faster than most people could throw a left jab. even hitting a bag lightly but as fast as you can helps. With repetitive punching, ie a fast flurry, it's mainly lack of co-ordination that slows you down not hand speed, so practice is the key.

Sevenstar i agree yes you shouldn't leave yourself vulnerable but what i ment, which i didn't explain properly my fault, is that while in training and beginning you should over exagerate (sp) your punches to get the feel and movement down. Hope that makes more sense.

yeah, I completely agree. That's what I was saying - you make the motion smaller as you progress.

Caeteris Paribus. (latin translation: "all other things held equal")

You're not holding all things equal when you compare de la Hoya and Tyson.

completely agree. But if you read most of the pro speed posts on this forum and other forums around the net, you will see that many people don't seem to realize that.

Having not been there to actually see the testing, all of the following is assumed. de la Hoya is faster than Tyson. Time is in the denominator, so a smaller number (less time) makes that equation larger. But is he fast enough to counter Tyson's HUGE increase in mass? I would guess that at that level of competition, the speed improvement is actually quite negligible.

exactly.