• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What to look for in a dojo and style???

planter007

Disclaimer: Since this is "Karate" topic, I'm going to use Karate terms...

I wholeheartedly agree that the instuctor is the most important factor when choosing a particular dojo. However, since others have already covered this, I won't touch on it... one thing I would like to add is the students are also important as they reflect on the instructor. Watch both their skills and their interactions.

If you are new to MAs, you may not know what to look for in a Sensei so look at the students.

- Are they focused on what they are doing?

- Looking at the different coloured belts are they roughly consistent in terms of skill level?

- Do all the purple belts look about as good as eachother?

- Are all the purples better than the Oranges?

Few people have the determination to stick with a good MA school because, well, it is hard. It is physically demanding and you have to perform your techniques PERFECTLY. YEARS of practice! If there are too many upper belts there is a problem. If there aren't enough upper belts there is a problem.

If the distribution seems really even, or top heavy, you're probably at a McDojo. The workouts probably arent' that hard and they probably pass out belts too easily. The class mostly black belts.

If there are only precious few upper belts, and hordes of white and lower belts it may indicated the same thing. As a result of a poor instructor students may leave, getting frustrated, getting injured or not feeling a sense of earning their achievements.

I also think that comradery is important. Watch the students before and after class. Are they friends? Does it seem like they may go check out the latest Jackie Chan movie as a group, or go out for Sushi? Are they practicing their Kata together, sparring or coaching eachother? Or do they wander about the dojo not interacting with other students? Does it look like they are not comfortable with eachother?

I'm out of steam. I think I'll end my post here.

snazzed

4yr Shotokan, 2yr Hapkido, 1mth Chito-Ryu.

The Hapkido place devolved into a McDojo during my stay.

"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Disclaimer: Since this is "Karate" topic, I'm going to use Karate terms...

I wholeheartedly agree that the instuctor is the most important factor when choosing a particular dojo. However, since others have already covered this, I won't touch on it... one thing I would like to add is the students are also important as they reflect on the instructor. Watch both their skills and their interactions.

If you are new to MAs, you may not know what to look for in a Sensei so look at the students.

- Are they focused on what they are doing?

- Looking at the different coloured belts are they roughly consistent in terms of skill level?

- Do all the purple belts look about as good as eachother?

- Are all the purples better than the Oranges?

Few people have the determination to stick with a good MA school because, well, it is hard. It is physically demanding and you have to perform your techniques PERFECTLY. YEARS of practice! If there are too many upper belts there is a problem. If there aren't enough upper belts there is a problem.

If the distribution seems really even, or top heavy, you're probably at a McDojo. The workouts probably arent' that hard and they probably pass out belts too easily. The class mostly black belts.

If there are only precious few upper belts, and hordes of white and lower belts it may indicated the same thing. As a result of a poor instructor students may leave, getting frustrated, getting injured or not feeling a sense of earning their achievements.

I also think that comradery is important. Watch the students before and after class. Are they friends? Does it seem like they may go check out the latest Jackie Chan movie as a group, or go out for Sushi? Are they practicing their Kata together, sparring or coaching eachother? Or do they wander about the dojo not interacting with other students? Does it look like they are not comfortable with eachother?

I'm out of steam. I think I'll end my post here.

snazzed

That was a good post. I agree with everything you said :D

You need a clean and nice place to work, a good instructor, and good coleagues. If it's not a 'bogus" style, anyone is good if you have good instruction and feel like home. In your darkest moments, it's very important to have good people near you. Your sensei must be a great man too, a good technician, psychologist, teacher, parent and so on and you really need some nice coleague ;)

The dojo I attend (just started two months ago) is super traditional and run by guys whose day jobs include police officers, firemen, etc.. They are great guys, very inspiring, and they work us to DEATH. In a class of 25 or 30 kids there are 1 or 2 black belts, about 7 brown belts, and the rest yellow or green. There are only like 4 white belts and we all signed up at the same time.

I end every class sweating, sore, and dog-* tired. And I'm not even sparring yet! Everything we do is done with intensity and meaning. There is no negativity, only positive criticism (from anyone). I think it's great. Anyways, I guess you should look for these things (positive attitude, hard working, good 'belt distribution')?

"What if your enemy is three inches in front of you, what do you do then? Curl into a ball? Or do you put your fist through him!?"

"It's the wood that should fear your hand, not the other way around. No wonder you can't do it, you acquiesce to defeat before you even begin!"

-Pei Mei

I end every class sweating, sore, and dog-* tired. And I'm not even sparring yet! Everything we do is done with intensity and meaning. There is no negativity, only positive criticism (from anyone). I think it's great. Anyways, I guess you should look for these things (positive attitude, hard working, good 'belt distribution')?

Excellent! Sounds like you are in a good school and I love your positive attitude.

May your training be blessed!

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Another thing to look for is students working out on their own. If they meet on off-nights to practice or to teach each other it's a good sign.

In my school, several of us are in a separate weapons class, and we usually bring in bo's/ jo's/ short sticks to practice alongside our open hand techniques on off nights.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

Koryu hit the nail right on the head....in our dojo and many others, "Everyone works"--only the sensei walks the dojo floor, correcting and teaching. Everyone else is working, diffrent ranks on diffrent things of course, but "Everyone works" Sweat soaked gi's and sore muscles for everyone!!! :P

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei